3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

3.7L Power Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 09:18 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Karl, those pulstar plugs are interesting. Did you notice any "out of the box" power gains?

Old 06-12-2012, 08:32 AM
Karl2006
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the spark plugs, no seat-of-pants difference. I think the answer will be in the fuel mileage, I usually check it and over the course of a month or two will be able to tell if it has gone up (I don't drive the truck that much).

On the Y-Pipe, the local muffler shop thought I was nuts, AND it was going to be a very tight fit to put the Magnaflow part in there, so I did not urge/force them to proceed -- didn't want unmotivated people working on my truck. Later I again looked underneath myself and I think the Y-Pipe will be an easier fit BEHIND the crossmember (just in front of the first muffler/resonator), but will have to find another muffler shop in a nearby town because the local guys really gave me a bad vibe.

Bottom line I think the Y-Pipe will help only at WOT or close to it, so it can sit on the back burner for a while.

Cold air kit hasn't arrived yet, but I'm back at work on the road so it will be a few weeks before I get to that one to compare Inlet Air Temp numbers. If it really does get cold air then it should help.

Old 07-01-2012, 12:47 PM
COYOTE102076
Rookie

If someone wants more power, I can completely understand that.
But why not just trade for a Dakota with the 4.7L HO motor instead?
Or if someone is LOOKING at buying trucks, and knows they will want/need high HP, then just dont mess with the V6's.
It makes me laugh every time I see someone who owns a V6 pickup/SUV and thay say to me "This thing is GUTLESS, LAME, LETHARGIC, etc......".
Ummmmmm, you did not have to BUY the truck! LMAO!
I got so many odd stares from freinds & family members when I pulled up in my brand spanking new 2007 RAM and they learned I bought one with a V6,,,,,,ON PURPOSE! LOL
Due to my wife no longer being able to work, we had to sell that truck back in 20010. I lost my -tail- on that thing when I sold it!
The 3.7L is a STOUT, very reliable, long living motor. One of the very best V6's out there by desighn. 210 HP/230TQ is in NO way a sloutch! We have just gotten spoiled by the MODERN V8's. Thats all. I spent many years working a 1982 D150 w. slant 6 ( Now THATS SLOWWWWWW) and a 6.2 Diesel Chevy to death. My '07 RAM, and tis new to me used '08 Dakota will blow the doors off of them! As well as being faster 0-60 than my wifes mint condition 1988 Chevy R10 with the 305 V8.
I just purchased a 2wd '08 Extended Cab. Going to have 2 Goodyear Authority's
from Wally World put on the rear next Friday. 245/75/16's. Allready have 2 really nice used 245/75/16 Cooper Disc. ST tires to put on the front.
Mind you, my truck will be used for 90% driving to work & back and 10% hauling in chopped wood in the winter months.
Would like to run 265/75/16 Duratracs on all 4 corners the next time around.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Karl2006

Originally Posted by Karl2006
[...] Cold air kit hasn't arrived yet, but I'm back at work on the road so it will be a few weeks before I get to that one to compare Inlet Air Temp numbers. If it really does get cold air then it should help.
UPDATE: Airaid 301-165 'Cold' air kit arrived, installed, a check of the IAT (inlet air temp) via ODB II reader showed 126 degree air going into the throttle body while driving down the highway at 60 MPH. The stock air box showed 122 degree air. Outside air temp was 90 degrees. Unknown if air flow was any better, but I was only looking for improvement in IAT. I took the 'cold' air kit off and reinstalled the stock air box. Look for it soon at an eBay site near you

The stock air box does try to suck air out of the inner fenderwell area, but the seal is pretty much non-existent. When time permits I'll do some minor fabrication in this area to see if I can get the inlet air source out of the engine compartment and cool down that IAT (which should help power, which should help fuel mileage).

Quick Reply: 3.7L Power Upgrade?