3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

3.7L Power Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Karl2006
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.7L Power Upgrade?

Any cost effective way to get any more juice out of the V6?

It seems there are no off-the-shelf turbocharger or supercharger options, and the efforts in a custom install, or an engine swap, are so great that one might as well trade the truck in for a V8 model... but I like everything about the truck except what's under the hood.

Dual exhaust any real help? Electric fan conversion? (I did see some info here and there about that). Not a chip fan, nor a muffler or air filter fan, think most of that is voodoo (unless the seller offers up dyno sheets) and don't want a noisy exhaust anyway. So, anything? Go on a diet and lose 50 lbs?

Any info on shift point reprogramming? The auto seems to want to get into the next gear too soon, then the li'l V6 doesn't have the torque to accelerate very well... have to mash it pretty much to the floor on uphill interstate on-ramps to avoid getting squished by an 18 wheeler.

At 70K miles on the engine I was thinking a new set of injectors and a new O2 sensor might restore a bit of pep, but given the weight of the truck the stock engine obviously needs some help.

Old 05-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Dragon05
Veteran

you're right.....there's not a lot out there. Shift point changes would come with a chip. Cold air intake and exhaust would yield up a few ponies. I also have a 3.7 in a quad cab. Someone has been installing a turbo on the forum and I am waiting to see how that turns out.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:13 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon05
Someone has been installing a turbo on the forum and I am waiting to see how that turns out.
On a 3.7L?

Old 05-30-2012, 12:22 AM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

Now that would be interesting to see the dyno numbers of power at the wheels. stock is 210 crank HP, correct?

Old 05-30-2012, 12:30 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass

Originally Posted by 06Dak4.7Silver
Now that would be interesting to see the dyno numbers of power at the wheels. stock is 210 crank HP, correct?
Yes sir. 210 horses of fury.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:11 AM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

It isn't bad..my buddys 3.7 Jeep GC is pretty quick

Old 05-30-2012, 09:44 AM
KS Cowboy
Veteran

I think that a guy with the call sign of Backwoods put some different injectors in his truck, which gave him bookoos of power. I have heard that the E-Fan is a good mod, as well as the CAI and exhaust, especially the y pipe replacement kinda help. There is a programer chip out, but i dont remember off the top of my head who makes that, or atleast that is what i am reading on here. Too bad the engine and transmission control computers are not separated. (i used to have a v6 then a 4-pointer helped me up grade my motor and, consequently, the rest of the truck)

Old 05-30-2012, 06:23 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by KS Cowboy
I think that a guy with the call sign of Backwoods put some different injectors in his truck, which gave him bookoos of power. I have heard that the E-Fan is a good mod, as well as the CAI and exhaust, especially the y pipe replacement kinda help. There is a programer chip out, but i dont remember off the top of my head who makes that, or atleast that is what i am reading on here. Too bad the engine and transmission control computers are not separated. (i used to have a v6 then a 4-pointer helped me up grade my motor and, consequently, the rest of the truck)
yea he had injectors and 4.56 gears. Probably makes it feel like a 4.7 with 3.55s lol.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:22 PM
Karl2006

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'll crawl under the truck tomorrow and look at the exhaust myself, especially the Y pipe, then run it by a muffler shop Friday and see what they think. Instead of fooling with a Y, I might just have duals ran all the way back on the 'missing' side (depends on $).

Then at 70K miles I'm wondering if the original cats are plugging up... had this happen on a Chevy once, bad; anyone know if the Dodge cats cause problems when they get a lot of miles on them? I've seen O2 sensors get real sluggish at that mileage as well, I might put a wideband O2 on the truck to see what's going on with the mixture (with a tad of rough idle I'm thinking the OEM injectors are probably due as well).

Shame I don't have a dyno facility nearby, that would be nice hard data

Old 05-31-2012, 12:23 AM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by FrenicX
yea he had injectors and 4.56 gears. Probably makes it feel like a 4.7 with 3.55s lol.
Where is Nick, anyways???

I don't think injectors would need to be replaced at 70,000...maybe double the mileage and I would consider it as a maintenance type thing. But if you're looking for more power you could switch to those 4.6L injectors and get a custom tune..if Hemifever does the 3.7L that is

Quick Reply: 3.7L Power Upgrade?