3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

**Attention anyone experiencing a "bump" or "jolt" just before or after a stop**

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 08:57 AM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Appreciate the comments guys. Hope it'll be of some assistance.

Originally Posted by lghtngblt02
Nice write-up!

I wonder if this is the same vibration/jolt I feel the seconds before I am completely stopped after braking kinda hard... Its definetly not a braking issue it's in the driveline, but something I have never looked into because its never been a significant bother, just noticeable.
Everything I've read points to this also being the same cause. Seems like some people get a braking jolt, some get an acceleration jolt, and some get both. I think that plastic-like dipped coating on the output shaft introduces room for manufacturing defects and tolerance errors when the two pieces are already machined to work together.

Last edited by erau; 06-05-2012 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:29 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Good info to know. Thanks man! I think I'll look into this then now that know.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:00 PM
ODXBeef
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hate to up an old thread, but I had the jolt/clunk on acceleration and I dropped the driveshaft and greased the slip yoke and voila no more clunk. Thanks for the info OP.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:20 AM
erau
Veteran

Originally Posted by ODXBeef
Hate to up an old thread, but I had the jolt/clunk on acceleration and I dropped the driveshaft and greased the slip yoke and voila no more clunk. Thanks for the info OP.
No prob. Glad it helped.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:49 PM
cheeseburger
All Star
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sometimes when I launch from 4-5 grand I feel a clunk... I may need to grease my shaft...

Old 08-10-2012, 12:32 PM
twitchy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I presume this is also possible w/ a 2nd Gen as well...
just recently started experiencing a "bump" or "jolt" after applying hard brake at a stop (because I admittedly wasn't paying 100% to the distance between myself and the guy in front of me)

Anyway, as soon as I came to a stop, the jolt was experienced roughly 2-3 seconds after. I thought, perhaps it was something i had behind me in the cab, but definitely not.

Since that point, I have experienced the jolt a few times even under normal braking, and on initial acceleration from stop. There's always been a bit of a jolt from torque but this certainly fits the bill for what I'm experiencing recently.

Thanks for the information!

Old 11-03-2012, 06:03 PM
aragon
Amateur

erau sorry to bring up another old post but i cant believe i found this. i thought i was the only one having this problem and didnt know how to explain it. thought maybe it was my tranny. i dont have time to fix it right away so my question is, is this causing any damage to my truck when it jolts like that? or is it normal? it annoying as hell but just want to make sure its not breaking anything before i can get to it to fix it. thanks

Old 11-03-2012, 09:11 PM
erau
Veteran

Originally Posted by aragon
erau sorry to bring up another old post but i cant believe i found this. i thought i was the only one having this problem and didnt know how to explain it. thought maybe it was my tranny. i dont have time to fix it right away so my question is, is this causing any damage to my truck when it jolts like that? or is it normal? it annoying as hell but just want to make sure its not breaking anything before i can get to it to fix it. thanks
I couldn't say with any certainty that it is causing damage, but I have to wonder if it could lead to premature gear or bearing wear/failure somewhere along the drivetrain. That sudden jolt hundreds (thousands) of times through the life of the truck can't be good for something on it, which I imagine would be the weakest link in the drivetrain.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:07 PM
aragon
Amateur

Originally Posted by erau
I couldn't say with any certainty that it is causing damage, but I have to wonder if it could lead to premature gear or bearing wear/failure somewhere along the drivetrain. That sudden jolt hundreds (thousands) of times through the life of the truck can't be good for something on it, which I imagine would be the weakest link in the drivetrain.
that makes sense. guess i will get to it sooner than later. thanks for the reply. not too experienced with this stuff but your write up was in depth. nevertheless i may contact you with a question or two when i get down to do mine. while im here. did you lube/grease the front and the rear of the driveshaft connections when it was disconnected or just in the front of the truck where the boot is? i may just try to pull the boot back and lube real good in there for now until i can take it apart like you did.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:57 PM
erau
Veteran

Originally Posted by aragon
that makes sense. guess i will get to it sooner than later. thanks for the reply. not too experienced with this stuff but your write up was in depth. nevertheless i may contact you with a question or two when i get down to do mine. while im here. did you lube/grease the front and the rear of the driveshaft connections when it was disconnected or just in the front of the truck where the boot is? i may just try to pull the boot back and lube real good in there for now until i can take it apart like you did.
I greased both the "male" and "female" parts of the slip connection using an old toothbrush, and shot some additional grease into the slip yoke for good measure (which turned out to be too much, couldn't get the driveshaft all the way forward at first without removing some).

You could try just pulling the boot back and shooting grease in, it wouldn't hurt. I would try to squeeze as much as I possibly could under there until it's about to ooze out, then close it off and jump on the bumper a couple times to "work" it into the joint. The only thing that may still cause it to stick and jolt is that dipped coating on the male shaft...without sanding the rough spots down like I did, the female shaft may still have something to "grab" onto. But I hope it works.

Quick Reply: **Attention anyone experiencing a "bump" or "jolt" just before or after a stop**