3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Wheel Hub replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 09:47 AM
mikeg87xx
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Hub replacement

Front passengers side wheel hub is acting up and im getting minor play in my tire already. has anyone replaced the wheel hub on these daks themselves yet? And did you run into any problems, or was it pretty straight forward? I assume it wouldnt be different than doing it on a silverado...also, what is a good brand of RELIABLE wheel hubs...maybe ill replace both of them while Im at it.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here yea go :-)
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...aring-diy.html

I bought SKF wheel hub, only because they use tapered bearings over the stock round bearings.

Last edited by Eimer123; 06-08-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:31 PM
Robk1971
Professional

Originally Posted by mikeg87xx
...has anyone replaced the wheel hub on these daks themselves yet? And did you run into any problems, or was it pretty straight forward?
While having my entire front suspension disassembled I also set out to replace both bearing hubs since one was bad. I couldn't get any of the bolts that hold the hub to the knuckle to turn. Had to take the steering knuckles to a friends shop and heat with torches to get the bolts to turn with an impact. Once the bolts were out we had to press the hub assemblies out of the knuckles on a hydraulic press. Nothing on my front end came apart easy. Once I cleaned up the knuckles, the new Moog bearing assemblies fell in to place no problem. I used new bolts since we had to heat them so much to free them up.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Deer Hunter
Veteran

I also used Moog from Rockauto, $90.79 ea. Also got new bolts from Moparparts America because I've had previous experience snapping hub bolts. This time I only snapped one but I replaced all 6 with new bolts anyway. My impact gun wasn't doing squat to those bolts so I used a 1/2" ratchet w/ 24" handle and no torch. Those bolts walked right out, no sweat, except for the last one which was no problem to snap with a 24" handle. The knuckle isn't threaded, only the hub, so if you snap one it just comes out w/hub no problem. (Unless you didn't buy bolts)

Old 06-11-2012, 04:42 PM
mikeg87xx
Professional

Thanks everyone, I am going to attempt this next week. Its annoying right now everytime i drive at slow speeds or up hill i just hear the thing clicking like crazy

Old 08-12-2012, 09:34 PM
DM_kota
Professional

Okay, new question, I am having a lot of the in-cab signs (noise when turning left I hear some minor rubbing?) But when I get out and jack up the front neither of the wheels move at all from 12-6.... could the hubs be bad and I cant see it when checking?

Should I still replace them? $220 is a lot for a non-issue??

Basically All I can tell is when I go over long bumps, my truck floats like an old caddy, and the noise gets louder from the front as I sink into the bottom of the bumps... that to me sounds like the races are more worn up/down then side to side.

Quick Reply: Wheel Hub replacement