3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Towing. Am I good to go?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 06:30 PM
MIke LeBlanc
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing. Am I good to go?

Hoping someone with knowledge can tell me if I am good to go. I have a 2006 Dakota SLT Quad Cab, factory tow package. I have a brake controller installed. 3:55 axle ratio. V8 Magnum engine. Specs say it can tow I believe 6500 LBS? And it is a rear wheel drive not 4 wheel. I have purchased a 21 foot Lite trailer. Dry weight 4160 Pounds. I doubt very much we will load it up, so lets say total weight 5000LBS. I have bought a weight distribution kit with sway bars. From all that I have read and it has been substantial, I am pretty sure it is all fine and towing this with my dakota will be a breeze? Thanks all ..Appreciate it.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:39 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Should handle that no problem. You could make it better by installing an aux. transmission cooler.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:50 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Make sure and turn that OD gear off. Running in OD with that much of a load will kill your transmission. That being said, as long as you go easy on it and regular maintenance has been performed, it should be fine.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:57 PM
MIke LeBlanc
Default OD

How do you turn off the OD? I do not have an OD button anywhere on my truck. I know some of the older ones do. I had a good feeling, now my bad feeling is back.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:05 PM
damyankee84
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the end of your gear shifter there should be a button for the tow/haul option, that turns off the o/d

Old 06-19-2012, 08:08 PM
MIke LeBlanc
Default OD

Gotcha...Lol..Drive with tow/haul button on. I do that even when I was towing the 2oooLB tent trailer. So, I will continue to do so. Thanks.

Old 06-20-2012, 07:46 AM
mikeg87xx
Professional

the transmission cooler idea cant hurt either... goodluck.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:36 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like you are good to go, you are going to know its back there but that's about it. You shouldnt have any problems.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:18 AM
TomZ
Professional

Don't wait until you're ready for a trip to learn about your controller. Learning the proper setting should be in the controller manual. Find a deserted road or big EMPTY lot to experiment. Remember, trailer tire pressure and changing trailer weight will effect controller settings.

Sounds like you're well set up. The advice to add a trans cooler is spot on. There are two types, tube and fin: inexpensive and just ok, or a plate style: more expensive but better cooling. Make sure the truck and trailer brakes and tires are 100%. The worst things that would normally happen while towing would be an inability to stop soon enough, or a blowout. Determine if the current mirror set-up enables you to see adequately. Towing makes every driveline system on the truck work harder, from rear diff lube to engine coolant. Belts and hoses need to be looked at, fluids and lubricants need to be adequate. Nothing ruins a vacation like a mechanical problem that didn't need to happen from lack of maintenance.

Last edited by TomZ; 06-21-2012 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Deer Hunter
Veteran

Just a side note on trailer towing. It's never a good idea to put radial tires on a trailer. The soft sidewall is what gives a trailer that sway. If anybody has ever seen someone on the highway with their trailer swaying and thought, "Holy crap, that doesn't look good." It's either radial tires or improper tire pressure. Never trust a saleperson to know whats right, it's all about the sale, not proper size or constuction.

Quick Reply: Towing. Am I good to go?