3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Paint Job Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 09:40 AM
italiandominator
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint Job Recommendation

Ok, so I found a used truck topper on craigslist that is really cheap but in good shape. It came off a 98-04 quad cab Dak, so it should fit good enough. Thing is it's white, but for the price the guy is asking I can't pass it up, even if I didn't do anything with it, a $50 topper is nice to have just in case.

But, I would like to paint it and make it look good enough to leave on my truck if I felt like it. That being said, what would you guys reccommend to do the job? I'm looking at doing a rattle can paint job, but I would take the time to do it right. Clean and sand the surface, primer coats, main coats, and several clear coats so I could give it a good waxing.

If I could get it to match my factory Gray metallic that would be great. Worst case, if it didn't turn out good I am toying around with the idea of just doing a bed liner paint job and accent it with diamond plating...what do you guys think?

Old 07-24-2012, 09:55 AM
MitsuRaider
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you should paint it the same color of the truck or black.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:48 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

If you go to all the trouble your saying to paint it yourself, it's going to cost several hundred dollars in paint, clearcoat, supplies, etc. I'd just take it to Maaco or somewhere and see what they would charge to do it. Maybe if you did all the prep and they just sprayed it it would be cheaper. I would not recommend spray painting a surface that big. It will never turn out good. Grills, mudflaps, hood scoops are one thing. Now I have seen on a few other forums about rolling on rustoleum, yes rolling on and it turns out very good if you take your time.

I personally do not have the patience for something like this.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:30 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
If you go to all the trouble your saying to paint it yourself, it's going to cost several hundred dollars in paint, clearcoat, supplies, etc. I'd just take it to Maaco or somewhere and see what they would charge to do it. Maybe if you did all the prep and they just sprayed it it would be cheaper. I would not recommend spray painting a surface that big. It will never turn out good. Grills, mudflaps, hood scoops are one thing. Now I have seen on a few other forums about rolling on rustoleum, yes rolling on and it turns out very good if you take your time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qPJTTRWttQ

I personally do not have the patience for something like this.
This.

Or the bedliner idea does sound have as bad either if you are going for an off roaq look. $50 is a steal!

Old 07-24-2012, 04:58 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

If you get it painted, get it professionally done and color matched, should only be a few hundred.
If you do it urself. Bedliner would be the most forgiving and easiest.

I also dont have the patience to paint, other then small things or bedliner

Last edited by jkeaton; 07-24-2012 at 06:50 PM. Reason: fixed spelling
Old 07-24-2012, 06:51 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Reject
If you get it painted, get it professionally done and color matched, should only be a few hundred.
Not so sure, at least around here, body shop wanted $300 just to paint my grill surround.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:09 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Not so sure, at least around here, body shop wanted $300 just to paint my grill surround.
Someone doesnt like you, lol
I got 2 Gen2 Fenders and painted from Dodge for only $800.
and Gen2 fenders are about twice the size (overall) of our gen3 ones.

and when I got my older (red) cap priced he said if it was a normal cap it would only be $250-400. (Same Dodge Dealer as the fenders)

Old 07-24-2012, 08:45 PM
RIFF-RAFF
Amateur

If it were me, I would try to sell the cap you just bought at a higher price and put the proceeds plus any cash you were expecting to spend on a paint job towards a cap that will fit your truck properly. If you're not in a rush for a cap, something may come your way eventually that will fit right and match your existing color. The 2000-2004 Quad cab toppers have a bit of a teardrop shape to their profile at the lower front whereas the 2005 - newer trucks are dead straight so that topper wont fit tight to your cab. I paid $450 for a cap that was meant for my truck in the right color off Craigslist.

IMG_2745.jpg

Old 07-25-2012, 10:50 AM
italiandominator
All Star

I have no idea why, but I've been trying to reply to all your advice guys.

I agree with all of it and I have a little research to do. I'll keep you guys posted on what develops and as always thanks for the input!

Old 07-25-2012, 05:27 PM
Moltenburn
Rookie

Take it to the local maaco I can't fathom it costing more than a $250-300 and they will do this much better than a spray can job, plus supplies will cost you around 200. My boy did it at his shop for $200 and included my grill being painted as well.

Quick Reply: Paint Job Recommendation