3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

it wont stop spinning

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 08:18 PM
norma jean
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default it wont stop spinning

I tried to put on my leveling kit today, as per jkeatons awesome instructions, got caliper and rotor off, struts nuts, top stabilizer link nut off, but then i ran in to problem of the bottom one not coming off. Can i do this with out taking it off? Also the stabilizer link needs to be replaced, but thats not on my plate yet, following is a picture of what is spinning causing me not to get the bottom off.

Also i need an opinion if the rims should be black or left chrome. all opinions are welcome, yes the tires are huge,but ignore that for the time being

photo1-2-1.jpg

sidewithrims.jpg

Old 07-24-2012, 08:46 PM
Deer Hunter
Veteran

Clamp a biga$$ vise grip on there. Remove both links and the stabilizer bar and leave them off till you get new links. It won't hurt anything, and you might even like the ride better.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:19 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah vise grip works if you can't get a wrench on above it. And holy $hit that is what my truck will look like! umm those wheels are clean as hell, they are chrome clad right? I think they look really nice but would probably go with black since your truck is mineral gray and has black accessories

Old 07-24-2012, 09:19 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ditto on the vice-grips, channel locks (my fav) or a small pipe wrench will do the trick. And I second removing the sway bar, it will feel better as for the ride and there will be some diving in tight cornering, but much better than the thunking you will have with bad links. They will probably break when you remove them anyways. Then it will be pretty easy to put them back once you get new links later on, won't have to remove anything.

Me personally, I removed my bar and haven't put it back. A good 30lbs lighter in front.. every little bit counts. (in my case)

Old 07-24-2012, 09:36 PM
norma jean
Captain

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
Clamp a biga$$ vise grip on there. Remove both links and the stabilizer bar and leave them off till you get new links. It won't hurt anything, and you might even like the ride better.
Originally Posted by 06Dak4.7Silver
Yeah vise grip works if you can't get a wrench on above it. And holy $hit that is what my truck will look like! umm those wheels are clean as hell, they are chrome clad right? I think they look really nice but would probably go with black since your truck is mineral gray and has black accessories
those are 275/60/20 your getting 50s or 55s i thought, yea chrome clad, i cleaned them up the other day, there is one speck and i mean tiny speck of rust one one rim, i do like the black, but the chrome "pops" on, so maybe for a little chrome then black.

Originally Posted by FrenicX
Ditto on the vice-grips, channel locks (my fav) or a small pipe wrench will do the trick. And I second removing the sway bar, it will feel better as for the ride and there will be some diving in tight cornering, but much better than the thunking you will have with bad links. They will probably break when you remove them anyways. Then it will be pretty easy to put them back once you get new links later on, won't have to remove anything.

Me personally, I removed my bar and haven't put it back. A good 30lbs lighter in front.. every little bit counts. (in my case)
yea i hear that thunking, for like months now after i come to stop and then hit the gas there is one clunk. GOOD BYE CLUNKING. The picture makes that look so much bigger than it is. i need a little vise grips, i did see some Irwin on sale at lowes. So tomorrow ill get new tools, and hopefully i can get that damn kit on.

wouldnt you want more weight for some sort of traction on the beast?

Old 07-25-2012, 12:37 AM
JoeyDMG
Professional

Yeah get some channel locks... if you don't have any harbor freight has a set for $7.50 or so. Also you might want to replace them now since you'll have it apart. Don't get the mevotech it doesn't have wrench flats. I know the Raybestos have wrench flats and poly bushings and the wrench flats makes it so much easier to take off and put back on. They're about $22 at Rockauto. My local CarQuest happened to have them too.

Quick Reply: it wont stop spinning