3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

no tail lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 11:57 PM
tmkf_patryk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no tail lights

Alright so I have a 2005 dodge dakota. And I have no rear brake/turning lights. I do have backup lights I believe.

I checked the bulbs, they are good, I even attached the bulb with the wiring harness/clip to 12v battery and it lights up.

The fuses look good, and I think I will need to do a continuity test on the lines? Or could there be a problem with the fusebox wiring?

Thanks in advance

Old 08-05-2012, 12:56 AM
cheeseburger
All Star
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i would check the ground point for the tail light. if that checks out, check voltage at the socket for the bulb. if there is an issue there then check to make sure you have power for rear lights at the fuse box.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:31 PM
tmkf_patryk

alright, made some progress.

First off, the reverse lights on both sides work. When I brake, none of my lamps show. (tail and the one on top)
When I put on my lamps and brake, then only left(drivers) taillight is on.
And turning, they dont work.

Now I got grounds okay on both sides, but from the middle connector (pink/red on left, and white/orange on right) only the left one works. I did continuity tests for a while, checking from fuses and all, and I lose continuity past the fuses. Took apart the fusebox and there was a wiring harness, continuity works on pink/red like it should, but white/orange doesnt show anything.

Looks like I will have to trace the wire all the way from there to the rear end. Thinking if I can get this to be continuous, then atleast I will have both brake lights working. Then I will have to find out why turning lights dont work (I think it happened same time, so might be going together, however I am not certain).

For some reason my relay has a wire soldered to it, its weird and I don't think its supposed to be like this, anyone else have a yellow wire coming out of the parking lamp relay (i think its called)

Old 08-05-2012, 07:35 PM
tmkf_patryk

its all fixed. there were 3 wires cut about halfway through the truck. looked like someone customized something and didnt do the best job. looked like from the vibrations the left over zip-tie (not tightened at all) was rubbing them down i guess

Old 08-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you found it, and a Plus for letting us know you fixed the issue!

Quick Reply: no tail lights