3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

jet chip

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 12:33 PM
bgardelle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jet chip

Anyone have any feed back on the jet chip?
05 Dakota stock motor with magna flow duel ex.
I want to add a cold air intake as well..

Bob

Old 08-07-2012, 01:24 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

V6 or V8?

Old 08-07-2012, 05:55 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

The JET chip isn't that great. Its sometimes better than no tuner/programmer at all, but there are threads all over the internet about it either actually decreasing people's performance, or more often, having many issues with it. More than one thread in the 2nd Gen Ram section about it constantly coming loose at the connections, causing the truck to just shut off wherever you are... and at whatever speed you are driving.

SCT Tuner from Sean, AKA Hemifever (hemifever@aol.com), a great guy to deal with. Offers great pricing on a usually very expensive tuner. $265, and if you want to do a custom tune later (if you ever want to add a Supercharger, different cam, etc. etc.), he only charges $100 more for custom tuning. Only downside to the SCT is that it doesn't change tire sizes in your computer, and is only good on 2006 and older model years.

Then there is the Superchips, Flashpaq or Cortex. Very good tuning. Sean (hemifever) has slightly better engine tuning, but the Superchips has slightly better transmission tuning.

Coming from a guy who's owned both (SCTs for a 2006 Durango and 2001 Ram, and now Superchips for my 2010 Dakota), both are very good at what they do.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:55 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonw
The JET chip isn't that great. Its sometimes better than no tuner/programmer at all, but there are threads all over the internet about it either actually decreasing people's performance, or more often, having many issues with it. More than one thread in the 2nd Gen Ram section about it constantly coming loose at the connections, causing the truck to just shut off wherever you are... and at whatever speed you are driving.

SCT Tuner from Sean, AKA Hemifever (hemifever@aol.com), a great guy to deal with. Offers great pricing on a usually very expensive tuner. $265, and if you want to do a custom tune later (if you ever want to add a Supercharger, different cam, etc. etc.), he only charges $100 more for custom tuning. Only downside to the SCT is that it doesn't change tire sizes in your computer, and is only good on 2006 and older model years.

Then there is the Superchips, Flashpaq or Cortex. Very good tuning. Sean (hemifever) has slightly better engine tuning, but the Superchips has slightly better transmission tuning.

Coming from a guy who's owned both (SCTs for a 2006 Durango and 2001 Ram, and now Superchips for my 2010 Dakota), both are very good at what they do.
Damn you for being all technical...lol I was getting there!

Old 08-07-2012, 07:58 PM
bgardelle

Thanks for the info. I like the idea of having more tuning. I'm just looking for the best allround tuning program and make a little more horsepower.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:41 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

still need to know if your v6 or v8. Superchips does not support v6.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:21 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I haven't heard much positive feedback on Jet Chips. That thing would never touch my truck.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:44 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my personal take on it..if it is OBD1 or earlier then chips are fine and Jet seems to be a reputable company in that case. Example - an 80's muscle car.. Chips are just plug and play and it is like you are plugging into the motherboard of a PC. There is no adjustments that you can personally customize and they are constantly on their specific installed setting. Much of the time the PCM is smart enough to figure out that there is something parasitic in there that is messing with the timing, fuel trim etc. After driving with that "chip" for 500 miles or so the performance gains, if any, may be overtaken by the PCM and the truck will feel stock again. This may trick you mentally into thinking you have more power or torque but in reality your truck performs as it did before. I never messed with any chip on my truck but I bet it would be a waste of time and money.
OBDII -get a flash tuner like Superchips or SCT from HemiFever. The PCM can't overwrite the adjustments because these tuners actually change the settings in the vehicle's computer. When you download a tune, such as the Performance tune for example, the tuner copies the stock settings to it's internal memory and loads up it's own data. This is much more effective and performance gains will be noticed by your right foot AND on the dyno.

Correct me or add anything I left out guys.

Last edited by 06Dak4.7Silver; 08-07-2012 at 10:47 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:33 PM
bgardelle

Originally Posted by jkeaton
still need to know if your v6 or v8. Superchips does not support v6.
I have a v8 with magna flow duels 4.7

Old 08-08-2012, 01:19 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by bgardelle
I have a v8 with magna flow duels 4.7
Then get a Superchios 3865. Don't mess around with a chip.

Quick Reply: jet chip