3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Rattle Can Clear Coat Technique

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 09:13 PM
italiandominator
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rattle Can Clear Coat Technique

Hey all... I posted before about getting a truck cap for my Dak. Found one that is a great price for the 2005+ models. Only thing is wrong color. I'm already looking into getting it painted by a local auto shop to match and how much it'd cost, but I had another idea.

I was thinking about wrapping it in the 3M Carbon Fiber Vinyl like I've seen them do online with whole cars...just wondering though...to make it last longer and shine better...could you paint over it with a clear coat? If so, any tricks to a rattle can clear coat job so that it comes out nice and smooth and so you can wax it to at least a close glass like finish? Or do you think it'd be better to just leave it as it is?

What are your thoughts?

Old 08-08-2012, 11:02 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

If you do clearcoat, use this http://imatchpaint.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=74

It is pricey but this stuff is as close to professional as you can get. I used it on all my stuff and it lays out so clear and smooth you dont need to finish it.Their paint is top quality as well.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:09 AM
kbond
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why not put a clear vinyl on it?

Old 08-09-2012, 01:40 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think it will work unless you use a water based latex clearcoat (if they exist) which would be just as durable as the vinyl wrap. The solvents in regular rattle cans would soften and weaken the vinyl wrap, it would probably bubble and peel right off as soon as you start to spray.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:59 AM
italiandominator
All Star

Thanks for the input guys...I'll check out that website and see about their products...also a consideration that it could damage the vinyl...good thoughts.

I will try to contact both 3M and that paint website and see if they have any input about if clear coat spray is compatible or not...Thanks guys! I'll let you know what I find out.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:08 AM
reagor
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you spray the clear use a cross hatch pattern between coats to ensure even coverage

also less is more, your better off doing 3 coats then one thick coat

find someone who is good with a buffer and have it buffed after it cures

be very careful buffing, vinyl doesn't like heat

Old 08-09-2012, 12:32 PM
italiandominator
All Star

Well i heard back from imatchpaint.com and they assured me that they have my oem paint which is cool, plus like you said jkeaton, it's a little pricey, but I see why...their cans are designed to apply paint like a real sprayer, plus the clear coat has a hardener that gets mixed in when you open it to give you that shell like finish...I'd for sure do at least 3-4 lighter coats to make sure it's even. Seeing how their stuff comes I wouldnt mind giving it a go myself. Even if i did mess it up, worst case is I end up going back to having someone else do it...lol, gotta learn sometime right?

Old 08-09-2012, 12:35 PM
italiandominator
All Star

Oh almost forgot...they also said that you should NOT paint their clear coat on vinyl...let's just say it wouldn't react very well.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:15 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by italiandominator
Well i heard back from imatchpaint.com and they assured me that they have my oem paint which is cool, plus like you said jkeaton, it's a little pricey, but I see why...their cans are designed to apply paint like a real sprayer, plus the clear coat has a hardener that gets mixed in when you open it to give you that shell like finish...I'd for sure do at least 3-4 lighter coats to make sure it's even. Seeing how their stuff comes I wouldnt mind giving it a go myself. Even if i did mess it up, worst case is I end up going back to having someone else do it...lol, gotta learn sometime right?
I have used their products on several vehicles. Honestly, the clearcoat lays out so smooth you don't really need to buff it out. I painted the rear bumper cover on my daughters 94 Mustang and the guy that bough it said he never would have known it was rattle canned. Their paint is Dupont, top quality ****, same as the automakers use. And the two part clearcoat is professional grade. Quality stuff.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:06 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't say enough good things about that 2-stage clear coat from imatchpaint. That's what I used on my rollpan. It's incredible, and their paint matching was great too.

Quick Reply: Rattle Can Clear Coat Technique