3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Random Temp light??

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 07:35 PM
damyankee84
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Random Temp light??

Ok so for the past few weeks my temp/overheat light comes on randomly. Sometimes it comes on and goes off within a minute but twice now it has stayed on until I turn off the truck. The temo gauge never shows that I'm running hot, it is always sitting right where it should be, just a hair under halfway.
I have checked coolant levels and electrical connections and everything seems ok. This is for an 06 4.7 non-ho

Old 08-10-2012, 08:24 PM
MitsuRaider
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is an overheating light?

Old 08-11-2012, 08:21 AM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe explain what the light looks like, many people get the engine temp light mixed up with the transmission temp light.

If its the engine temp light, it might just be a faulted sensor, the warning light and cluster gauge are two separate sensors.

If its the transmission light, (red circle with a flag in the center) then its probably just a random error that these trucks get. I still think its a factory built in timer for the scheduled transmission service, but have no way to prove it. (Mine only freaks out like that for a week about every 20,000 miles) Always turns on randomly, then goes away like a min latter, usually like after a short trip to work, or the grocery store.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:39 AM
damyankee84
Veteran

Originally Posted by Eimer123
Maybe explain what the light looks like, many people get the engine temp light mixed up with the transmission temp light.
You are correct sir....Upon further inspection it is the trans temp light. It is a circle with a kinda flag/capitol F inside it right next to the 100mph mark. Mine also usually only does it on short trips.
Is there a sensor that controls this?

Old 08-24-2012, 06:25 PM
Bajabob
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too am having this problem. I noticed that you and Eimir123 both have the superchips controller. What setting are you using, because I started having this problem after using the tow setting. I changed the trans fluid and filters and had the light come on while sitting at take-out line. It may be the programer settings???

Old 08-24-2012, 06:58 PM
Bajabob
Rookie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been doing a little research on the site and came a cross this thread, https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ion-issue.html, I'm going to check this out this weekend, I kinda see a correlation with a/c use and warning light coming on.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:10 PM
damyankee84
Veteran

I disconnected the battery and it hasn't come back on.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:23 AM
KS Cowboy
Veteran

would this happen to look like what you are seeing?

Old 08-30-2012, 07:54 PM
littleBIGdodge
Amateur

My truck too, just joined the random tranny temp light club at 62,000 miles. I was reading another thread about a sensor going bad in the trans oil pan, but ill have a look at that computer by the condenser and will see if that will solve the problem. Although, my tranny is due for a fluid and filter service but the fluid levels are fine but ill have a look at the sensor too when i drain the tranny.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:46 AM
KS Cowboy
Veteran

ok so update from my end (ill edit this when i get the full list of what they replaced back)

I hauled my truck in on the tuesday, 21st and they said that i was 2.5 quarts low on transmission oil. the following weekend i saw the pic i posted above. Printed it out, then on this last tuesday, 28th, and they said i have a bad torque convertor (or an oil pump of some sorts), bad solenoid packs, and i needed new transmission oil lines. WTF Over??? Parts wont be in till after labor day weekend. FML

We will see if the new lines will actually do any good.

Quick Reply: Random Temp light??