3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

clock spring??????????

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 06:28 PM
onesikeuro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clock spring??????????

on top of the odd noise in my steering suspension, i gotta creaking in my steering wheel. Airbag light is on. This leads me to beleive its a clock spring. I don't have much info about them, so i was wondering how impotant they are and what they do as well as is it gonna do anything to hurt my truck if i dont replace it asap????? And does any one know is it a simple fix if i go get one from dodge?

Old 08-19-2012, 02:54 AM
JoeyDMG
Professional

It's in the service manual on page 8O-421 if that helps. I would bet it's at least $200 labor job plus parts. I had a weird noise coming from my steering wheel when I turned it, but no air bag light. There was some tech bulletin to fix it which I think cost around $200. Hope that helps...

Old 08-19-2012, 07:56 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Air bag is the first to go and as the clock spring gets more worn out then the cruise control follows. I did the one on my old Jeep GC. You'll need a wheel puller and the part is about $80 at the dealer.
I believe I read on the Jeep site I was a member on that the average cost of part and installation at the dealer is about $325...

Old 08-19-2012, 09:13 PM
onesikeuro

jesus.... the problem is i dont think i wanna tackle taking the steering wheel off... something tells me ill have parts left over... but thanks for the info.. ill look in the service manual..

Quick Reply: clock spring??????????