3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Power steering Issues/questions:

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 09:16 AM
KS Cowboy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Power steering Issues/questions:

I have noticed on this dakota, that my power steering reservoir keeps geting low. I noticed the issue sometime back in jan through march (i dont remember exactally when, cant remember if it was cold or not cause we had a summer style winter last year). I am just starting to notice it again. (gotta get better about truck maintenance) I filled it up with ATF4+ or what ever the manual recommends.

My Question is why is it leaking? Where from, or at least i don't see any leaks under the truck, where is the fluid going? And what do I do to fix it?

I got to take the truck in soon to get some warranty work done, and i am gonna mention this to the dudes at the stealer-ship. I just want a heads up about what to expect.

Oh ya, I am also feeling a little bit of a "pop" when i am straightening my wheels back out from full turn from only one direction. I hauled it in over my last bit of warranty work and they couldn't figure it out then. It was a bit too faint to hear. they replaced the lower ball joints, and that kinda helped.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Holbrook.Jeremy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you look around the power steering rack for signs of a leak? It's a fairly simple system. I've had a leak on the passenger side of the rack and pinion for a while not but the fluid level never changes in the res.

Quick Reply: Power steering Issues/questions: