3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2006 Dakota 4.7l fuel economy

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 05:26 PM
Graeter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by northgator8
I think that Joke Posts (like using the words Fuel Economy and 4.7L in the same line) are supposed to go in the General Discussion Forum!

I think that the best way to reduce the fuel used is to stop pressing so hard on the long skinny peddle - but it is just so darned fun!
Yea, I actually haven`t been bad on it (last tank with about 75% freeway I got 19.5 mpg.

But I know I expected the economy and I`m not complaining, just figure if I can improve it, I might as well!
Originally Posted by jkeaton
Not much you can do on the mileage front. Some members have resorted to removing weight, etc. But only 1-2 mpg gains are seen. A CAI and low restriction exhaust are your best bets. Superchips tuner improves performance, but mileage suffers because your always on the gas wondering why the dang trucks dont come from the factory like that...lol. Babying mine, the most I ever got was around 20 mpg on a trip. 15-17 around town. Towing your lucky if you break 15. It's a big, heavy truck.
I refuse to remove weight. I got a racecar for that!
Originally Posted by 06Dak4.7Silver
welcome to the forum, sounds like you got started off on the right foot. please post pictures of your TRX4!
When I get it cleaned up again, I`ll take some pictures and post it up!
Originally Posted by slicktrick
mileage,towing & dakota 4.7......yeah,the cai,exhaust & superchips help,but its no hemi.
yes, it will do the job,but neither towing or mileage is real impressive to be honest.
i pull a 18 ft triton bass boat with mine & it makes me wish i still had my old ram......or a new diesel,lol.
Yea. To me, it came down to money and not wanting to fork over the big bucks for a clean turbo diesel. In the future I will, but I`m still in college and don`t want to have the truck payment.
Originally Posted by kjpark
the first thing i did when i got the truck was drop in aem and delta 40 exhaust from cat back(removed all resonators too). my mpg went up 3 at most. really im not a big cai fan, since for $100 you can get a box drop in and your own straight pipe from the tb to box, half the price as k&n. Also its mixed but i hear bed covers make mpg worse in most cases, only b/c factory they built the truck to be made without one..just a thought.
I understand what you are talking about, but I didn`t get the cover for mpg, but rather for storage/etc. The difference should be basically somewhat negligible if anything.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:09 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Tonneau covers have actually been proven to increase mileage very slightly, 0.25 to 0.5 MPG, in most cases with pickups, although I am not aware that a Dakota was specifically tested. Its lowering the tailgate down (uninformed farmers and ranchers around here still think they gain mileage by doing that) that actually decreases mileage.

Superchips can increase mileage... if you keep your foot out of it. As others stated, you probably won't be able to.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:35 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

I can't even bring myself to look at the mpg display anymore. Every time I do, I just laugh. Between the SC and Magnaflow, I keep pushing that gas pedal again & again.
But with the 3.55's, I can see over 20 mpg on the highway if I really try, which never seems to last long for me.

And, Welcome aboard.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:48 PM
viper359
Professional

These fuel mileage posts always make me laugh. I always think to myself....I should be doing this stuff. Then, once I hope in my truck, I drive it like I stole it. Hell, I cannot get on a hi-way without driving like I am trying to best my previous 0-100.

I have got to admit though, I beat the living crap out of this truck, every day, and it holds up. I burn gas like a ****, but, it holds up. My EVIC displays about 20L per 100KM, but I am sure its higher than that. Most of my driving is city and inter city hi-way.

120K on it, and just a front end replacement, which I am sure would have been needed even if I drove it like my grampa drives, new brakes all around, and tires. I cannot complain one bit.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:15 PM
06whitedak
Rookie

i keep seeing this 15-18 mpg. which has got me thinking theres something wrong with mine cuz im only getting 12-13 average. ugh!!

Old 09-05-2012, 06:17 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

12-13 would have me looking for problems.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:01 PM
zcg4755
Professional

Originally Posted by 06whitedak
i keep seeing this 15-18 mpg. which has got me thinking theres something wrong with mine cuz im only getting 12-13 average. ugh!!
I average between 13-15. I couldn't get over 14 all summer. The best I ever did was 16.7 (80% highway). The truck is brand new, so I couldn't imagine any serious problems. Makes me wish they offered the 5.7L as an option. My dad averages 15-17 in his 2012 Ram 1500.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:58 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

I just filled up and calculated 18.4 which is my new high..I have been recording since July. I can post dates and fuel economy statistics here if you guys like. I drive the truck how it should be driven with some burnt rubber on occasion and high RPM straightaways on occasion. I do a lot of highway driving though! However, I also hit a decent amount of traffic on the freeway

Old 09-06-2012, 12:25 AM
06whitedak
Rookie

mines the 4.7l 6 speed and im running 265-70-17 tires which doesnt help but it should be more then where im at. i need to pull the plugs see what they look like and run a fuel system cleaning and air intake cleaning and go from there!

Old 09-06-2012, 10:02 AM
gjmoran
Captain

yep i avg around 12-16 mpg myself, i do a **** ton of city driving (live around LA, and also do service calls everyday w/ my truck) the most ive ever seen was around 19+ mpg and that was rolling down hill with the engine off on my way to san diego 100+ miles away (jk was just babying the gas pedal)

Quick Reply: 2006 Dakota 4.7l fuel economy