3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Blinking Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 06:03 PM
carlb87
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Huh??
On all obd2 vehicles 1996+ a flashing check engine light means the the engine is miss firing so bad that raw fuel is being pushed into the exhaust system and is being blown right into your 600+ deg. f. catyletic converter which can destroy your cats and possibly cause a fire by over heating it and possibly melting it (worst case.)

Old 09-24-2012, 09:28 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

I didn't read he was having any of those issues....he's been driving it.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:28 PM
littleBIGdodge
Amateur

Thanks guys! I checked my fuse box under the hood and inspected the cig lighter fuse. It was not blown and the outlet still has power to it. The second time the check engine light started flashing two days ago, the engine made brief exhaust rattle sound and i had the hood open at the time and could see the engine looked like it almost rattled too. Thankfully i did not continue to drive it after that happened.

As of today, the check engine has not flashed and there has not been any abnormal noises from the cab or the exhaust. Ill make sure to pull over if the light starts flashing while Im driving. I have a feeling that i have not seen the last of this issue, so i might break down and take it to the dealer and have them run the diagnostic scan for $116...

Old 09-25-2012, 12:52 AM
carlb87
Professional

I didn't read he was having any of those issues....he's been driving it.
I was just trying to help him out. Im sorry if I have offened you.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:18 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by carlb87
I was just trying to help him out. Im sorry if I have offened you.

Didn't offend me at all. Just getting clarification as I have never heard that before. Cheers.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:43 AM
carlb87
Professional

Ok good. glad to here it. Ya not a lot of people know about that unless they've worked in the trade.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:51 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by littleBIGdodge
Thanks guys! I checked my fuse box under the hood and inspected the cig lighter fuse. It was not blown and the outlet still has power to it. The second time the check engine light started flashing two days ago, the engine made brief exhaust rattle sound and i had the hood open at the time and could see the engine looked like it almost rattled too. Thankfully i did not continue to drive it after that happened.

As of today, the check engine has not flashed and there has not been any abnormal noises from the cab or the exhaust. Ill make sure to pull over if the light starts flashing while Im driving. I have a feeling that i have not seen the last of this issue, so i might break down and take it to the dealer and have them run the diagnostic scan for $116...
There are a number of things that can cause the engine to heavily misfire, but I wouldn't consider a blown fuse for the PCM - If a fuse was blown for the PCM and it had no power, you wouldn't be able to start the engine.

Didn't offend me at all. Just getting clarification as I have never heard that before. Cheers.
The definition given by carlb87 is correct (easy to find on an internet search), the cat's igniting is only a possibility due to temperatures and raw gasoline involved, but not a certainty - it probably wouldn't burn, but explode from the fumes igniting inside the cat.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:01 PM
BMSJaX
Amateur

Interestingly enough I had this happen when I installed the SVT injectors. The CEL light flashed and beeped and shortly after I got 'bank 1 & 2 running rich' codes (and I was). Happened every time I cleared the codes. Once the OEM injectors were reinstalled (till I can get a tune) the CEL did nothing outta the ordinary.

So my 2 cents is you have a internal fuel leak, possibly a injector sticking that is making you run rich intermittently, but maybe not rich enough to set a code, if that is possible. Try some injector cleaner in you fuel for a cheap starting point.
As for the not being able to comm with the PCM I also suggest trying another reader before you start worrying to much about that, maybe the one they tried was not CAN compatible.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:52 AM
06whitedak
Rookie

Originally Posted by carlb87
Ok good. glad to here it. Ya not a lot of people know about that unless they've worked in the trade.
i work in the trade. and i have never heard of that. also i asked my shop foreman who has been in the trade for 20+ years and hes never heard of this. care to share where you got said info from?

Old 09-27-2012, 02:09 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 06whitedak
i work in the trade. and i have never heard of that. also i asked my shop foreman who has been in the trade for 20+ years and hes never heard of this. care to share where you got said info from?
I first heard the explanation several years ago from dealerships of a couple of different manufacturers and then I looked it up on the internet where there was a lot more info on the topic. Dealerships can be useful

Quick Reply: Blinking Check engine light