3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2005 SLT questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 07:18 PM
DK Pony
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005 SLT questions

Hey guys, I have been looking for a pickup and came across a 2005 Dakota SLT Crew Cab V8 Magnum. I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet and thought I would check with the experts and see if there are any known issues or areas that deserve an extra thorough examination.

It's got 110K on the clock. Runs and drives well.it's a little "floaty" but I have read that that is kinda normal. Everything seems to work..A/C,windows,seats etc. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Old 09-23-2012, 10:35 PM
Deer Hunter
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a lot to look for. You're looking at the worlds worst non-greaseable steering and suspension. It's floaty because the OEM shocks and struts are terrible, changing to Monroes or Ranchos will fix that. But at 110k miles you're sure to be looking to replace all 4 ball joints, both tie rod ends, stabilizer bar bushings and end links, and possibly hub/bearings. The reason is like I said, non-greaseable parts. We Dak owners have been replacing these parts with Moog Problem Solver series parts which are greaseable replacement parts. Not too pricey if you can do the work yourself. Also at that mileage it's time for a trans flush and filter change, coolant flush and change and belt. If it's an original battery, you can bet you're gonna need one of those, too. But they are nice trucks. Those of us that have them love em despite some bugs they have. Not too big, not too small, and comfortable. Good luck.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:13 AM
DK Pony
Professional

Thanks for the info. I'll def get under it and check all of that out. The battery is about a year old and all the usual stuff has been replaced(brakes,hoses etc.). I can do the work myself.
Thanks again for the info.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:54 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Aside from the aforementioned front end issues, the trucks are more than reliable as long as it's not a Monday truck.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:48 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 2005 slt, beat the snot out of it every day, runs strong, 130000 miles now, just the frt ends suck, also you may be looking at wheel bearing also soon.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:12 AM
DK Pony
Professional

Thanks again for all the info and replies. I have driven the truck twice and gone over it as well as I can. It would need tires, shocks and struts, and ball joints first thing. I got it to the house and got the front end off the ground and sure enough the front end is shot BUT...

I was on the way to work yesterday and ran across a 2003 SLT. Same truck as the 05. 4.7 4wd quad cab but with new tires and 15K less on the odometer. Of course its a slightly different bodystyle, but equipment wise it doesn't have the heated or power seats. But it does have the factory towing packing with tranny cooler,hitch,lights and elec brakes setup.

Same price on both trucks...ahhh decisions decisions

Old 09-26-2012, 08:54 AM
fendermender

I have an 05 SLT with the magnum. It's about to turn 30,000 miles mostly only used for towing or hauling stuff. I looked at used ones at the time and there wasn't that much difference to order new. I'm glad I did!! You need to look at all the specs betweenthe 2nd and 3rd gen. A lot more was changed besides the body. I bought it because I didn't want a full size pickup and S10 or Ranger were too light in the butt for what I wanted to tow. I sure wouldn't go 2nd gen if 15K on the clock and tires is the only dif.

Only complaints/problems I have encountered.

Front caliper froze around 28,000 miles. They have plastic pistons. The reman ones have steel. I replaced both.

The cloth seats are crappy. They watermarked the first time I opened the door in the rain. I tried upholstery cleaner that has worked great on other cars and now they look like they were in a flood.

Should have ordered the 3.92 gear option. But that's not the truck's fault.

It sees mostly all interstate type driving which may be why I haven't seen an issue with the suspension yet...plus the low miles.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:16 AM
DK Pony
Professional

Good to hear so many positive reviews.

I've been driving a 95 regular cab 5speed 4 cyl s10 2wd s10 since 96. Just sick of no room,changing gears,no towing capacity,no power and no 4wd.

From what I have researched the engine and tranny are the same. Looks like they boxed in the frame for 3rd gen but that made it heavier.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:12 PM
Deer Hunter
Veteran

Yes, they boxed the frame on the 05+. It's about 1,000 lbs. heavier which really helped improve the ride. Big difference in ride compared to previous generation dak.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
Yes, they boxed the frame on the 05+. It's about 1,000 lbs. heavier which really helped improve the ride. Big difference in ride compared to previous generation dak.
I would say, There is no significant difference in ride from my old 2000 Club Cab 2wd V6 compared to my 05 Club Cab 2wd V6, There was once I replaced the Shocks and Struts with stiffer ones. I actually found the 2000 Better by Stock, It didnt bounce in the front end, haha it had 150,000km, my 05 has 115,000km.

Last edited by Reject; 09-26-2012 at 08:09 PM.

Quick Reply: 2005 SLT questions