3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2005 SLT questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 09:41 AM
fendermender
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
My 05 had the towing package, the build sheet states it has: trailer tow group (don't know what that means exactly), heavy duty cooling, heavy duty suspension (HA!), front and rear heavy duty shocks (HA! again), 3.55 rear axle (why a 3.92 did not come standard with the tow package is beyond me), transmission oil cooler, power steering cooler, class IV receiver hitch, 7 pin wiring harness. I'm sure thsat did not change much between 2nd and 3rd gens. I'm also not sure what a build sheet w/o towing package looks like, it might also state the "heavy duty" suspension stuff as well. But, we all know there is nothing heavy duty about the suspension on these trucks, with or without a tow package.

Bigger battery and the heated towing mirrors also. I agree about the gears. When I ordered my 05 the salesman talked me out of the 3.92 saying it would hurt the mileage. LOL! What mileage??! I am currently gathering parts to regear it. I should have known he was full of crap when he said they could install the tow pack on a truck they had on the lot. The optional ratio was 90 bucks or something. 7 years later and I'm still kicking myself.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:55 PM
DK Pony
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the info on the tow package.

About the diesel..I drive a big rig across the US of A and get home for 2 days every 14. The last thing I want is to hear that damned diesel at home too..lol

Not really sure what I am going to do. The 03 is in great shape, the 05 is in greeat shape and I just had a buddy call me with an 06 in even better shape.

I average putting 500 miles a month on my s10 now.

Thanks again. Once I decide Ill post some pics.

Quick Reply: 2005 SLT questions