3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Air Bag Light Not Going Off

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 11:36 PM
Drakkon
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Bag Light Not Going Off

[:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@][:'(][:@]
The airbag light on my truck wont go off...soon as i turn it on it comes on, never want to go off. Adjusted steering wheel, played around with thing, nothing. Looks like its in for a trip to the dealer tomorrow morning...this sucks
Anyone know if this is a problem thats happend elsewhere?

Old 09-01-2005, 12:40 AM
thebrainn
Default RE: Air Bag Light Not Going Off

It happened to me. I carry my briefcase on the passenger seat and it started doing it after a few days. I put the breifcase in the back for a day or two and it went away and has not come back. The dealer ran the code for me and said that it was becasue I had started the truck with a load on the passenger seat a few times in a row. He said a lot of the Daks have done this but it stops being so touchy after a few thousand miles in most cases.

Mine has not given me any problems since and I have been putting my briefcase on the front seat again for about two weeks.

<edit> the load on the passenger seat being light enough to shut the airbag off (i.e. not a full passenger weight).

Old 09-01-2005, 12:57 AM
lvramfan68

I was driving to work today and I noticed my airbag light wouldn't go off either. I did have some tools on the front seat but nothing with that much weight. I was going to take it to the dealer this week for a couple of other problems so I might have them look at this too. I will let you know what they do to take care of it.

Old 09-01-2005, 04:22 AM
DakotaStone
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did the same thing everytime I put my back pack on the passenger seat. I think that it does that when there is something in the seat and under a certain weight, it shows that it's turned off for while it's there. I don't have a problem otherwise. Just thought you'd want to know. It's a safety feature.

Old 09-01-2005, 02:07 PM
Drakkon
Professional

I'm not talking about the passenger airbag light, I'm talking about the red drivers airbag light on the console in the middle of the speedometer. The one that isn't supposed to come on EVER unless your airbag has deployed or there is a problem with the DRIVERS airbag

Old 09-01-2005, 07:54 PM
swerve

mine does it occassionally too, I can't figure any rhyme or reason to it though. If I turn the truck off and then back on it usually goes away?

Old 09-03-2005, 02:43 PM
Montryjack

I had a similar problem with mine. My '05 Dakota had the lights come on on the center of the dash and in the cluster for about 8 seconds and then go off and then come back on with a ding sound (which indicates that an error code was stored). This happened sometimes when there was someone in the passenger seat above 70 lbs. and sometimes when no one was sitting there. If I shut the truck off, waited about 10 seconds and then restarted it, the lights would then work normally. I took the truck to the dealer and they told me it was a loose connection and that it was fixed. It worked well for about two days and then started doing it again. I took it back a second time and they tested everything and found the computer that controls the airbag system was having intermittant issues. It was very difficult for them to find. They replaced that computer and everything is great. I have not had a problem for at least a month now.

Kevin

Old 09-03-2005, 09:42 PM
RP Racing940
Record Breaker

could be a bad fuse.

Old 11-21-2005, 02:33 AM
everlong

I have problems with mine as well. If I have a backpack in the seat it stays off (as long as it doesn't weigh a ton). But anything more than that the passenger light comes on. However, if there is nothing in the seat, both the passenger and mine come on. Occasionally, before this problem, mine would come on from time to time but I would just restart my truck and it would be good to go.

Old 11-21-2005, 09:35 PM
locontem

I had this same problem (main airbag light stays on, not the passenger one) just a few weeks after I got the truck... I took it into the dealer and they "found the wiring harness from ORC to indicator lamp had rubbed through on dash frame." I figured it was due to them installing my Sirius radio in the truck a week prior, but who knows.

Quick Reply: Air Bag Light Not Going Off