3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

trans noise?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 01:40 PM
LoCatus
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget to install a nice transmission cooler if you don't already have one. These things tend to heat up quick when hauling a load. (Especially up hill)

Old 10-20-2012, 11:04 PM
mulie4x4
Amateur

Originally Posted by LoCatus
Don't forget to install a nice transmission cooler if you don't already have one. These things tend to heat up quick when hauling a load. (Especially up hill)
I asked about putting one in while it was in there and the mechanic said I did not need to because the one it has would be good. The trailer I am hauling is just under 4000 lbs.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:33 PM
LoCatus
Rookie

IF, You don't have an external cooler and your nice new transmission is relying only on what cooling it can get running the fluid through the radiator. I still recommend getting one. $35-$60 depending on how large a cooler you get. easy to install and can save tons of $$$ in future transmission work.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:37 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mulie4x4
Good News I have my truck back only took 1 week got the trans in sooner than thought and I have noticed a difference now. The shifting is so smooth and it no longer is downshifting all the time when I am going up hills which is very nice since I have good size hills I need to go on to go anywhere and I have noticed its a bit more perky off the line. I read the mechanics report and the whole tranny had metal throughout and was starting to wear down all components inside. I am happy, now I need to get my hitch put in and wire up my truck to pull a trailer next summer.

I am glad to hear the trans issue has been resolved.

Quick Reply: trans noise?