3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

trans noise?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012 | 10:54 AM
mulie4x4
|
Amateur
Default trans noise?

I noticed a noise yesterday when slowly accelerating then taking my foot off the gas there is a sound like something is dragging under my truck. I thought that is was a empty box or plastic container and checked underneath when I first heard it. Once it shifts into second there is no noise. The trans shifts fine and the truck runs great. The truck is a 2009 Dakota 4x4 with the 3.7L and has 33,000 km or about 20,000 miles. Any idea's what it could be? I well be taking it to the dealer next week.

Old 10-07-2012 | 11:19 AM
superdak05
Champion

wonder if the clutch for the fan is going out.

Old 10-07-2012 | 02:20 PM
mulie4x4
|
Amateur

I dont think so, I listened to it with my window open and the came from underneath my truck.

Old 10-08-2012 | 01:28 PM
DodgeCares
Champion

Originally Posted by mulie4x4
I noticed a noise yesterday when slowly accelerating then taking my foot off the gas there is a sound like something is dragging under my truck. I thought that is was a empty box or plastic container and checked underneath when I first heard it. Once it shifts into second there is no noise. The trans shifts fine and the truck runs great. The truck is a 2009 Dakota 4x4 with the 3.7L and has 33,000 km or about 20,000 miles. Any idea's what it could be? I well be taking it to the dealer next week.
Is anything coming in contact with the drive shaft? Probably is best to let the dealer take a look when you take it in as it could be any number of things.

Old 10-08-2012 | 05:42 PM
mulie4x4
|
Amateur

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Is anything coming in contact with the drive shaft? Probably is best to let the dealer take a look when you take it in as it could be any number of things.
I went underneath to have a look and cant see anything contacting the drive shaft and no leaks either. Its a mystery, I am glad I still have warranty left. Maybe a u-joint is going???

Old 10-09-2012 | 07:46 AM
DodgeCares
Champion

I went underneath to have a look and cant see anything contacting the drive shaft and no leaks either. Its a mystery, I am glad I still have warranty left. Maybe a u-joint is going???

Could be any number of things. My suggestion is to have the dealer take a look, especially if you are still under warranty.

Old 10-10-2012 | 11:56 PM
mulie4x4
|
Amateur

Originally Posted by DodgeCares
Could be any number of things. My suggestion is to have the dealer take a look, especially if you are still under warranty.
UPDATE Took it to dealer today and they said the tranny is toast. Has metal filings throughout it so they are ordering a new one from Dodge and warranty well cover everything and I well not need to pay a cent.. Wonder what this is going to cost them????

Old 10-11-2012 | 08:36 AM
DodgeCares
Champion

UPDATE Took it to dealer today and they said the tranny is toast. Has metal filings throughout it so they are ordering a new one from Dodge and warranty well cover everything and I well not need to pay a cent.. Wonder what this is going to cost them????

I don't know the cost but am glad to hear you will not have to pay for it. Hopefully they can get you back on the road quickly.

Old 10-13-2012 | 09:29 AM
mulie4x4
|
Amateur

They said it would 7 to 10 days to get here( I live in Canada) and then install time so I think I should have it back in 2 weeks. Does anyone know what kind of warranty well be with the new tranny??

Old 10-20-2012 | 10:38 AM
mulie4x4
|
Amateur

Good News I have my truck back only took 1 week got the trans in sooner than thought and I have noticed a difference now. The shifting is so smooth and it no longer is downshifting all the time when I am going up hills which is very nice since I have good size hills I need to go on to go anywhere and I have noticed its a bit more perky off the line. I read the mechanics report and the whole tranny had metal throughout and was starting to wear down all components inside. I am happy, now I need to get my hitch put in and wire up my truck to pull a trailer next summer.

Quick Reply: trans noise?