3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Hankook dynapro mt vs general grabber at2

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 04:20 PM
05cockydakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hankook dynapro mt vs general grabber at2

Hey guys I'm new here and I'm I have a question for you all. I have a 05 dakota, all stock for now. I'm looking into new tires and I've narrowed it down to these two. Hankook dynapro mt and general grabber at2. I don't do much off roading, only when I'm in the woods at the hunt camp. I want something aggressive and reliable. These two are right around the same price range too so that's another reason for choosing these two. So I guess I need some thoughts, opinions, questions, comments...lets hear it.

Old 10-30-2012, 04:39 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

Hankooks are good tires but if they are the same price range the popular vote goes to the general grabber at2's

Old 10-30-2012, 05:22 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

I'm partial to the Hankook. I had them and loved the ride, look and price.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:30 PM
bonecollector 3
Rookie

Those are both nice tires, in the looks department the hankook MT holds it though, but i guess it all depends on what type of driving you are doing. If its gonna be mostly street most people would go with the Grabbers because of ride comfort, millage ect. ect.... unless you are a guy like me who likes the super aggresive look and you like a little howl at speed from the tires i think your best bet will be the AT2s

Old 10-30-2012, 11:40 PM
05cockydakota

Yea I do mostly street driving. Normally no more than 55 mph. I'm at some point gonna do the leveling kit from daystar. Like I said I don't do a lot of off roading unless I'm hunting. BUT I do like the aggressive look and I like the hum going down the road....Why is life so hard!?!? Haha

Old 10-31-2012, 09:29 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

For mostly street driving, an M/T tire isn't the best choice. It's gonna be noisy and lower your MPG's. Haven't had experiences with either tire though, so I can't offer any advice there.
But if you're ordering tires, check out this offer from DTD, good until 11/4/12.

Discount Tire Direct $100 rebate

Old 10-31-2012, 07:46 PM
bonecollector 3
Rookie

I have read that the Hankooks arent to bad of a weraring tire for an MT because they are a milder type mud tire. I have also read that the at2 is a very good all terrain and are very comparable to the BFG AT, and for being an AT the generals are a pretty gutsy lookin tire.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:15 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An M/T is designed to bite into a softer surface so it will have less siping & water discharge grooves and generally larger tread components. This causes poorer traction on a hard surface, especially a wet hard surface, and will give you a rougher and noisier ride. There are some A/Ts that give you less noise but poor wet/hard road performance and all of these give you poor performance in "snow country". I have 35" Trexus M/T on my YJ jeep and it's almost at the end of it's driving season because of the poor cold/hard/wet traction, so I'll cover it for the winter and start using it again in the spring. On the 05 Dakota, I just took off a set of Nitto Terra Grappler because of the poor wet traction in the cold and put on a set of Yokohama Geolanders for the winter - these stick to the road like s**t to a blanket, are quiet, and give a softer ride than the Nittos.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:03 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

The Geolanders are supposed to be good. Those are whats going on my wife's Jeep probably in several thousand miles when the factory tires are wore out.

Hankook A/Ts are going on my truck when it comes time, probably about a year from now. My wife had a set on her previous vehicle, and they were fantastic in the snow, muddy corn field shortcut she went into once because she was late to a lunch date with her friend (don't ask, but the corn was already harvested, only cut down stalks left), and on pavement. No loss of MPGs either from her factory Goodyears.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:14 PM
bonecollector 3
Rookie

You may want to talk to the member on here who calls himself "Sleds" he has the Hankooks.

Quick Reply: Hankook dynapro mt vs general grabber at2