3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

anyone familiar with the electronic/wiring of our trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:25 PM
gjmoran
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone familiar with the electronic/wiring of our trucks?

i would like to know all components involved that provide power and signaling to the door speakers.

ive been chasing a problem down with my door speakers ever since i bought the truck. basically what happens is that they go into overload/protection mode at moderate to high volume levels and it seems like changing the songs on whatever im listening to will reset them and they play normally for a few minutes then continue going back into that mode.

it seems to happen more often with metal/punk music than anything. ive tried swapping the door speakers to after market ones and i still have the same issue. also i have an after market head unit which i have sent in for repair multiple times (to see if they could find anything wrong with it).

the only thing i can think of at this point is there is some amperage problem going on with the truck. what leads me to believe this is that when i roll my windows up with the lights on i will see a noticeable dim in the dash/head/overhead lights.

i want to start replacing components 1 by 1 until i nail the issue down.

1 thing i wonder is can i bypass all the factory wiring and go straight to the battery instead for the headunit/speakers?

Old 10-30-2012, 10:32 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you could. but the factory supply is decent enough for a headunit to stay amped up. im running a pioneer 7" indash tv on stock wiring at extremely annoying old people **** offing volumes. could be your headunit and speakers arent matched or kind of funky?

as far as i know the speakers only grab signal from the headunit harness...at least in my model (ST)

Old 10-30-2012, 10:55 PM
gjmoran
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got the slt model, i dont know what it is man it is the most frustrating thing ever.

i have the stock speakers in right now with the aftermarket unit but i am thinking of going back to my after market speakers since they just replaced my entire engine wiring harness.

Quick Reply: anyone familiar with the electronic/wiring of our trucks?