3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

4X4 Accidently Engaging

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 01:49 PM
atlanticblue05
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replacing the transfer case motor resolved this problem for me.
I tried cleaning the motor connector with contact cleaner and also the connectors at the front control module and fuse box under the hood with no luck.
I had the exact same symptoms - the motor would cycle when unlocking truck with the key fob and it would try to shift into 4LO while driving it.
Started the day after I went through a car wash.
It did shift into 4LO once when going under 10mph and the right rear tire locked up and started dragging. I would highly recommend pulling the tranfer case motor fuse (25A) from the fuse box under the hood or unplugging the motor until you resolve this problem or you could damage your transfer case $$$

Last edited by atlanticblue05; 11-15-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:47 PM
hendrixx324
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree when it was happening to me i unplugged the motor until i had time to actually diagnose it because it tried shifting int to 4wd on me at 60 miles per hour.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:31 AM
IndianOutlaw291

The 4WD indicator light would vary, there were several times when it did not turn on when indeed the 4WD was activated.

Situation went from bad to worse. On Monday of last week my Dakota did not want to enter any gear what so ever … I drove it for 15 minutes to my destination, turned it off for about 10 minutes, retuned to my vehicle and the truck had no reaction to whatever gear I put it in. I tried D, 2, 1 and R and nothing … it remained as if it was in neutral. I retuned it back to park, as I did so something directly below the center console made a grinding noise. Truck is currently at the mechanics awaiting autopsy.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:56 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IndianOutlaw291
The 4WD indicator light would vary, there were several times when it did not turn on when indeed the 4WD was activated.

Situation went from bad to worse. On Monday of last week my Dakota did not want to enter any gear what so ever … I drove it for 15 minutes to my destination, turned it off for about 10 minutes, retuned to my vehicle and the truck had no reaction to whatever gear I put it in. I tried D, 2, 1 and R and nothing … it remained as if it was in neutral. I retuned it back to park, as I did so something directly below the center console made a grinding noise. Truck is currently at the mechanics awaiting autopsy.

IndianOutlaw,

Any updates from the diagnosis? Has the vehicle been repaired?

Old 12-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like your transfer case is in neutral. That grinding noise is the parking pawl in your transmission.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:52 AM
IndianOutlaw291

UPDATE: After $600 dollars my truck was finally back on the road. A general mechanic, who'd only see this occur once before in his career was able to make the necessary repairs. He ending up replacing the "accuator" located on the diff. Whatever that may mean I am not sure, but the important thing is that I'm back on the raod. While at the mechanic I also had an issue where the Dak would not shift from P to D,2,3 or R without pumping the brakes several times. That issue was also resolved by adjusting some type of contactor.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:27 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

UPDATE: After $600 dollars my truck was finally back on the road. A general mechanic, who'd only see this occur once before in his career was able to make the necessary repairs. He ending up replacing the "accuator" located on the diff. Whatever that may mean I am not sure, but the important thing is that I'm back on the raod. While at the mechanic I also had an issue where the Dak would not shift from P to D,2,3 or R without pumping the brakes several times. That issue was also resolved by adjusting some type of contactor.

IndianOutlaw,

Glad to hear everything has been resolved and that your Dakota is back on the road! Thanks for keeping us updated and posting the resolution.

Quick Reply: 4X4 Accidently Engaging