3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

4X4 Accidently Engaging

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 12:25 PM
IndianOutlaw291
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4X4 Accidently Engaging

I purchased a V8 4X4 2006 Dakota three years ago, and have had several issues since. In the past two years I have installed an Airaid cold air intake, Gibson headers, Flowmaster series 40 exhaust and just recently a Superchips programmer.

First, I have had three exhaust manifold leaks. Which I corrected by installing a set of ceramic coated Gibson headers. The leaks have not reoccurred since.

My most recent problem happened a two months after installing the Superchip Programmer. Not only have I not seen a difference in my MPG (I have only used Mileage XS), but now my 4X4 is accidently engaging while driving. I installed the programmer about two months ago, and in the past two weeks this has occurred approximately two times a day at random speeds. I have also heard my transfer case changing gears when (truck is parked) disarming my alarm.

I spoke with the Superchips customer service, and the rep told me he has never heard of the programmer doing that. He also suggested putting the truck back into stock mode and seeing if the issue reoccurs. I will do as he suggested this afternoon, until then …

Any advise as to why this is happening or how to correct it ?

Old 11-07-2012, 02:54 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

The mileage is much more sensitive now, or at least that's what I have seen with mine; however, I havent seen a drop like you explain. If at all it has stayed the same. The only time it drops is when I am driving it hard, it seems suck more fuel, but that's to be expected. You cant build horsepower with out feeding the horses. When I drove the mileage tune, it always felt underpowered which unconsciously always made me press the accelerator more which would be my explanation to you with that tune. In my opinion the tow tune is the best of all the tunes. It gave good mileage and good power as compared to stock. As far as the 4x4 engaging, I havent seen this caused by the tuner. Seems odd, but I would do as the rep suggested to just rule the tuner out. My suggestion is the 4x4 Shift Solenoid is going bad or at least that was the case on some of the rams I have seen throughout the forum. They replaced it and no issues were seen after that.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:24 PM
cheeseburger
All Star
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The transfer case is electrically operated is it not? could be an issue with chafed wiring after your header install?

Could possibly be an issue with the connections at the PCM.

I would start by Isolating the Connectors for the transfer case and tracing the wires as far as possible looking for Chafing and weak spots. as well as putting some Electronic Grease in the connector to ensure that it stays dry.

If the Tuner was telling the Transfer case to engage it would probably be at a more regular interval, Computers operate on logic after all.

If you need help looking for the transfer case connectors, look on the main page of this section and download the service manual (free) and that will tell you where to look. Check the section for Removing the transfer case or transmission.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:11 PM
hendrixx324
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is just a coincidence that it started to happen when you installed the tuner. This problem has happened to my truck. Have you taken your truck off-roading? Because my problem was there was a lot of dirt and mud build up inside the connector that is on the shift motor on the T-case. I unplugged it disconected the battery and sprayed some contact cleener(you can just use brake clean) just make sure the battery is disconnected. And then i blew it out with air compressor. Has not happened since

Old 11-08-2012, 09:19 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cheeseburger
The transfer case is electrically operated is it not? could be an issue with chafed wiring after your header install?

Could possibly be an issue with the connections at the PCM.

I would start by Isolating the Connectors for the transfer case and tracing the wires as far as possible looking for Chafing and weak spots. as well as putting some Electronic Grease in the connector to ensure that it stays dry.

If the Tuner was telling the Transfer case to engage it would probably be at a more regular interval, Computers operate on logic after all.

If you need help looking for the transfer case connectors, look on the main page of this section and download the service manual (free) and that will tell you where to look. Check the section for Removing the transfer case or transmission.
Originally Posted by hendrixx324
I think it is just a coincidence that it started to happen when you installed the tuner. This problem has happened to my truck. Have you taken your truck off-roading? Because my problem was there was a lot of dirt and mud build up inside the connector that is on the shift motor on the T-case. I unplugged it disconected the battery and sprayed some contact cleener(you can just use brake clean) just make sure the battery is disconnected. And then i blew it out with air compressor. Has not happened since
Try the less dramatic approach first like these two suggested

Old 11-08-2012, 10:08 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Uninstall the tune and clean the connectors....drive it for awhile....and when you re-install the tune, select the tow tune. Mileage tune is a waste of memory space on the tuner. I don't know whay they even bothered with including that one other than a sales gimmick because it does not save gas.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Uninstall the tune and clean the connectors....drive it for awhile....and when you re-install the tune, select the tow tune. Mileage tune is a waste of memory space on the tuner. I don't know whay they even bothered with including that one other than a sales gimmick because it does not save gas.
In addition, check the wiring harness around both headers where it may be too close or even touching the hot exhaust. Also check anywhere else that you remember moving the harness to make room to work on the headers - it does sound like an intermittent contact that makes the controller think you've selected 4wd. I would also check around the 4wd selector switch to see if anything got loose there.

When the 4x4 engages, does the dash indicate that it's engaged? Other than sound, do you get any other indications that these things are happening?

Old 11-08-2012, 11:48 AM
hendrixx324
Record Breaker

My service4wd light came on when it was happening to me is that whats happening for you?

Old 11-12-2012, 11:23 AM
IndianOutlaw291
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did as the Superchips Rep suggested and turned my truck back to stock. I will tune it to "tow" once this issue has been resolved.
To answer Alfons' question; the indicator light turns on or remains off while the transer case is engaged in SVC4WD.
I have not gone offroading, but did clean the connector.
The headers are wrapped, but i did make the extra effort to zip tie all wires away from them.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:07 PM
hendrixx324
Record Breaker

has it done it since you returned back to stock?

Quick Reply: 4X4 Accidently Engaging