3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Potential Dakota Owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 08:42 PM
madredr1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential Dakota Owner

Hello all,

Just joined this forum to ask a general question. Looking at ditching my 2000 S10 for a newer 2wd Dakota - V6 and 6 Speed transmission. It's a 2008. My question is I see a TON of reviews talking about how the V6 leaves a lot to be desired for hauling and towing, and I just want to confirm the truck will fit my needs.

I do a lot of ATVing, and currently I stuff one in the back of my S10 and one on a little 4 by 8 trailer. Occasionaly I will fill the truck with a weekend cooler, guns, the ATVs, and boatload of ammo, and targets. The S10 handles it fine, but will the Dakota deal with this just fine as well. I hate the s10 - it's been a nightmare for three years, and this Dakota is a pretty decent deal with lower mileage. Should I disregard the reviews and will it be ok for light hauling and towing needs?

Thanks in advance!

David

Old 11-17-2012, 12:17 AM
gjmoran
Captain

if u can get the v8, they get about the same mpg

Old 11-17-2012, 02:00 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

With the manual transmission, the V6 may get a couple MPGs better than the V8. However, they redesigned the 4.7L V8 in 2008. Just over 300 HP and better MPGs than the older V8 model, it is a much better option than the V6 in my opinion. It will also come with a premium price tag though, and they are harder to find. For the 2010 model year, I saw a few sites that stated approximately 70% of Dakotas were V6 equipped.

Test drive the V6 with the 6 speed. I think she'll do fine for your needs, but only you can determine whether you'll be happy with it or not.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:45 AM
Growlor
Professional

Thanks to the magic of 2 year leases, I have had a 3.7L (2005) Dakota, a 4.7L (2007 - NOT the HO model) and am now driving a 2010 4.7L (which I am not leasing - plan on keeping this one.) All were 4x4 quad cab models with auto trannies.
I think the best of all of them for towing (never actually towed anything so take this with a grain of salt) would have been the 2007. The V6 was fine around town, but trying to get up to passing speed on the freeway was noticably slow and sometimes a bit dramatic on my morning commute: some bozo made my onramp merge into the FAST LANE which ends right before an overpass (so very little distance to merge) and it is uphill to boot. The 2010 is a screaming beast once you get it wound out, but it feels kind of gutless at lower RPM's - I actually had the dealership look at it a couple of times when I first bought it because I thought it might have something wrong with it, but all checked out fine.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:37 AM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your S10 has the Vortec V6, it is a more powerful setup in an S10 than the 3.7L V6 in the Dakota.

The V6 6-Speed setup has 3.21 gear ratio, and it is good enough (I have this setup). It is about on par with a 5-speed 4 cylinder Tacoma.

I get around 17.5 MPG in mixed driving, mainly stop and go though. I have hauled 750lbs in the bed often and cannot really tell the difference. I have never towed with the thing though.

I may be wrong, but I think with a hitch the 3.7L V6 is rated to tow 3800lbs or so? Again I could be wrong. You shouldn't have an issue with the lifestyle you mentioned above, but I can't imagine any truck that couldn't handle that stuff.

Last edited by MonkeyWrench4000; 11-18-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:43 AM
sdsdsd
Captain

DON'T PURCHASE THE DAKOTA IT IS JUNK!!!! Nothing but repair after repair! Struts, ball joints, transmissions, head gaskets, engine failure. Get a full size something or nother. You get about the same fuel miles.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:03 PM
DaKoCuN
Professional

Originally Posted by sdsdsd
DON'T PURCHASE THE DAKOTA IT IS JUNK!!!! Nothing but repair after repair! Struts, ball joints, transmissions, head gaskets, engine failure. Get a full size something or nother. You get about the same fuel miles.
It's actually out of production, but if u get good care of u truck u will have a truck for years over and over.

Quick Reply: Potential Dakota Owner