3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

CEL but no code stored

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CEL but no code stored

My truck is a 2005 Dakota 4.7, 4x4 & I've had a CEL come on over the last couple of months as a result of a malfunctioning EGR and this always caused a problem code to be stored (I haven't changed it since it doesn't affect the operation of the truck & it's too cold outside to do much wrenching). Today, I had the light come on (again, no affect on the trucks operation) and when I checked for codes, there were none stored - I checked with 2 different diagnostic tools with the same results.

Any suggestions?

Old 12-12-2012, 10:44 PM
durapu
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alfons
My truck is a 2005 Dakota 4.7, 4x4 & I've had a CEL come on over the last couple of months as a result of a malfunctioning EGR and this always caused a problem code to be stored (I haven't changed it since it doesn't affect the operation of the truck & it's too cold outside to do much wrenching). Today, I had the light come on (again, no affect on the trucks operation) and when I checked for codes, there were none stored - I checked with 2 different diagnostic tools with the same results.

Any suggestions?

Check your Fuses .. especially those for Aux power and Cig lighter

Old 12-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Today I decided to go through the diagnostic tool ritual again and started with the Super Chip scanner. Initially, it told me that I had no DTC's, but I went on to the "Clear Codes" function anyway. It took a really long time to go through this process and then came back & told me that the codes were cleared. I turned the key off, unplugged the scanner & then re started the process. This time, when asked to Read Codes, it came back with the 2 EGR codes that I've had before, so I'm assuming that there was some "data confusion" in the PCM that the Super Chip was able to clear up - I'm thinking that the original use of the scanner in playing around with "tunes" may have caused some of this "confusion" and that I should probably use this scanner for all my diagnostic checks on this truck from now on.

Quick Reply: CEL but no code stored