3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Hard tonneau that works with Cargo Rails?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 05:20 PM
barrysuperhawk
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hard tonneau that works with Cargo Rails?

I just purchased a 08 QC with the 5.3' bed and factory XXRS Pickup Box Utility Rails. I would like to mount a foldup, hard tonneau cover, but I am having a hard time finding one that doesen't require me to remove the rails. If I can find a flush mount, that would be perfect, but that's not 100% required. The HARD part is a requirement because I need to be able to haul valuable items, and intend to also install a tailgate lock.

If one that works like that isn't readily available, I am not opposed to modifying something, and would like suggestions on what might be the best one to start with.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:04 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by barrysuperhawk
I just purchased a 08 QC with the 5.3' bed and factory XXRS Pickup Box Utility Rails. I would like to mount a foldup, hard tonneau cover, but I am having a hard time finding one that doesen't require me to remove the rails. If I can find a flush mount, that would be perfect, but that's not 100% required. The HARD part is a requirement because I need to be able to haul valuable items, and intend to also install a tailgate lock.

If one that works like that isn't readily available, I am not opposed to modifying something, and would like suggestions on what might be the best one to start with.
The only ones I've seen when looking for mine (mine is a soft fold-up) were "roll ups" that fit between the surfaces where the rails are mounted. They aren't cheap, but they appear to get good reviews & I think they also come with a lock. There are a couple of locks available for the tail-gate - I installed a manual style key-lock (use lots of grease or anti-seize compound on the parts if you plan to use one of these, they look like they'd rust up real fast without that), but the electric looked good also - I didn't feel like stringing a harness to the back just for that which is why I went with the key lock style.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:50 PM
smitty21
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If im not mistaken, extng makes a hard cover that sits ontop off the bed, but nothing that flush mouts will work with the cargo rails.

I dont even think the mopar ones work with the rails either

Old 12-26-2012, 02:39 PM
TomZ
Professional

The Mopar folding hard cover works with the rails, I have it. It ain't cheap.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:38 PM
TRUCKDIVA
Former Vendor

The ones that we offer are the Extang tri-fold cover if you are interested in taking a look at.
http://www.buyautotruckaccessories.c...onneau-covers/

Old 12-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker

Here's 1 place that sells a flush mount cover for a Dakota.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:17 AM
Fold-a-Cover
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by barrysuperhawk

Our G4 Elite hard folding tonneau cover works with the Dakota's factory rail system, no modifying necessary.

As for keeping your valuable cargo safe; our cover has an integrated locking system and also comes with an optional foot-mans loop. When the foot-mans loop is installed it prevents the tailgate from being able to open without first opening the cover. This makes for a secure truck bed without having to install a locking tailgate.

Also we are currently running a holiday special through the new year that offers $150 off of our G4 Elite Fold-a-Cover.

Check our Factory Store for more information on our special!

Please let me know if you have any other questions here or feel free to PM or E-mail me as well.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Fold-a-Cover
Our G4 Elite hard folding tonneau cover works with the Dakota's factory rail system, no modifying necessary.

As for keeping your valuable cargo safe; our cover has an integrated locking system and also comes with an optional foot-mans loop. When the foot-mans loop is installed it prevents the tailgate from being able to open without first opening the cover. This makes for a secure truck bed without having to install a locking tailgate.

Also we are currently running a holiday special through the new year that offers $150 off of our G4 Elite Fold-a-Cover.

Please let me know if you have any other questions here or feel free to PM or E-mail me as well.
Nice looking cover. I certainly would have considered it if I had found it before getting what I have.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:50 PM
barrysuperhawk
Professional

Originally Posted by TRUCKDIVA
The ones that we offer are the Extang tri-fold cover if you are interested in taking a look at.
http://www.buyautotruckaccessories.c...onneau-covers/

Actually, I have a Solid Fold on a 1999 Dakota, and it is by far, the worst product I have ever had the displeasure to deal with, and to top it off, the customer service is non-existent. It does not even slow down water leaks, it's only held on by 2 wimpy bolts that I managed to bend WITH MY HAND, and 2 weak spring loaded clippies. My 100 lb girlfriend can lift it enough to get into it [insecure] and it doesn't even fold right. When I complained about the folding, the CS email has ignored a dozen emails, and my local vendor told me that Extang's official policy was that if there was something wrong, the customer obviously broke it and that is that. I would have been better off with plywood, I am dumber for having bought it.

Originally Posted by Fold-a-Cover

That's a good looking cover, but there seems to be an awful lot of business hanging down into the cargo area.

I like the way this Roll-X works:
but I can't tell if it will work with the factory rails..

Old 12-29-2012, 09:12 PM
barrysuperhawk
Professional

...And the answer is...NO. [But the coupon code seems to be worth 15%, so there is that..]

Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 16:03:26 -0500
To: barrysuperhawk@xxxx.xxxx
Subject: Re: Fwd: Inquiry Form Submission (Inquiry #252790) - roll-x

Hello Barry,

Thank you for contacting us, and your interest in our products. This is Jason from BAK Factory Outlet. We handle all consumer direct sales and inquiries for BAK Industries. The Factory has asked us to contact you in regards to your question below, and to offer our services as the authorized direct dealer for BAK products.

The factory rail system on the Dakota would have to be removed to install the Roll-X or any other tonneau cover.

Please feel free to email or call 800-653-7089 ext 705 with any further questions or to place your order at factory direct pricing by phone. If you prefer to order online at www.BAKFactoryOutlet.com, I invite you to use coupon code "JASON" to receive the discounted price.

Here is a direct link to our Roll-X page for online ordering --> https://www.bakfactoryoutlet.com/catalog/rollx-1.html

Best Regards,

Jason Knies - Sales Mgr.
www.BAKFactoryOutlet.com
(800) 653-7089 ext 705

Last edited by barrysuperhawk; 12-29-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Hard tonneau that works with Cargo Rails?