3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Hydrogen anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 10:47 PM
sdtalon
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydrogen anyone?

I recently acquired a 50 mile each way commute to work, and i'm getting **** for mileage, so i started looking into ways of increasing gas mileage. Has anyone experimented with adding HHO? It is said to improve both performance as well as mpg. I am researching it now, but if anyone has done it, it could dramatically speed up the process.

Thanks.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:04 AM
barrysuperhawk
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Adding enough H2 and O2 to make a difference jacks with your PCM. Uncompressed h2 has an Energy density (MJ/L) of .01 compared to 33-34 for gasoline. That means you need a LOT of it to make a difference. Also, in the size required to make a difference, for 50 miles would kill your battery, and probably seriously tax even a dual battery setup. Electrolyzing water in that quantity - say a couple hundred CFM, I would recomend using at least 24v at the highest possible current you can get which should be ought to be, at a guess 18 amps or so. That kind of load would put a serious hurt on your charging system and your battery, not to mention the quantities of water involved. For a 50 mile trip you are looking at [SWAG] 20-30 gallons of water, and your truck would run like a KIA on 3 cylinders. Anything less is a waste of time and effort.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:04 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by barrysuperhawk
Adding enough H2 and O2 to make a difference jacks with your PCM. Uncompressed h2 has an Energy density (MJ/L) of .01 compared to 33-34 for gasoline. That means you need a LOT of it to make a difference. Also, in the size required to make a difference, for 50 miles would kill your battery, and probably seriously tax even a dual battery setup. Electrolyzing water in that quantity - say a couple hundred CFM, I would recomend using at least 24v at the highest possible current you can get which should be ought to be, at a guess 18 amps or so. That kind of load would put a serious hurt on your charging system and your battery, not to mention the quantities of water involved. For a 50 mile trip you are looking at [SWAG] 20-30 gallons of water, and your truck would run like a KIA on 3 cylinders. Anything less is a waste of time and effort.
Great info... I have always heard its more of a gimmick. The costs outweigh the benefits.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:34 PM
barrysuperhawk
Professional
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, reading what I wrote, it was kinda stream of consciousness and not real clear, because I obviously switched gears in the middle. My point is, to make it work like you expect, it's ALOT of work and alot more science than most people are in for. FOR TEOTWAWKI when it's just me an my dakota after the [insert disaster here] apocalypse, i could probably make it work if all I had was water to work with, but there are DRASTIC limitations. It's kind of like getting an electric car and expecting to just be able to charge it with solar power, until you realize HOW much sun you need to charge the car enough to go just one mile....

Old 01-04-2013, 09:20 AM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd look into carpooling. Or buy a motorcycle.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:11 PM
kjpark
Professional

depending on how stock the truck is..the only way to increase mileage on the cheap would be to lower the truck and maybe do a tune, maybe also lower the gear ratio. but all that would maybe give 2-3+ mpg..believe it or not when i got my new exhaust i went up 1.5-2mpg, then my new filter added another maybe 1+ not much but made the difference from 12.7mpg to 15.5mpg, im getting 16 now. used to be about 17.5mpg but then i lifted the truck and bigger tires..

Old 01-06-2013, 11:04 PM
sdtalon
Rookie

I have an R6, but its not very comfortable for an hour ride each way. Also, i need to carry my tools, plus its been 29 in the morning out there.

Doesn't the Fisker have solar on it's roof?

I have intake, exhaust, superchip (set to mileage mode), 2/4 drop, havent done gears yet.

I did see this:
and its on a dakota.

according to that video, it works better than barry outlines.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:22 AM
KS Cowboy
Veteran

My old man was in to that once a while back, and it didnt work. He tried to claim that it did, but it really was a waste of time.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:56 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 336 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by sdtalon
I have an R6, but its not very comfortable for an hour ride each way. Also, i need to carry my tools, plus its been 29 in the morning out there.

Doesn't the Fisker have solar on it's roof?

I have intake, exhaust, superchip (set to mileage mode), 2/4 drop, havent done gears yet.

I did see this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGEgWCds4Ro
and its on a dakota.

according to that video, it works better than barry outlines.
Honestly the mileage mode is a crock. Your better off running performance 87 tune. I found the mileage tune actually gave me less MPG's than the 87 performance tune.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:17 PM
sdtalon
Rookie

i'll try that tune. thanks.

Quick Reply: Hydrogen anyone?