3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Couple exhaust questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 08:52 PM
timbanditos
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple exhaust questions...

I have read about a few guys changing out mufflers, and those who removed the resonators and changed mufflers. I want to see if anyone has just replaced one or both resonators with straight exhaust pipe and kept the stock muffler? Can you just get 2 inch exhaust pipe and cut it to fit the same space as a resonator? Trying to get a little more flow for little money.... my allowance got cut when the baby arrived! Thanks in advance for any help guys!

Old 01-10-2013, 09:24 PM
mattz

I pulled out the muffler and left both resonators. It sounds pretty good, not to loud. My wife drives the truck and she likes how it sound when it starts up.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:36 PM
timbanditos

Mattz, how did you route the pipe? Did you cut it short to come out in front of the tire? Do you have any inspections to pass for Emissions?

Old 01-11-2013, 06:40 AM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

the pipe is 2.5" in diameter in-case you plan on picking up some straight pipe

Old 01-11-2013, 06:45 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by timbanditos
I have read about a few guys changing out mufflers, and those who removed the resonators and changed mufflers. I want to see if anyone has just replaced one or both resonators with straight exhaust pipe and kept the stock muffler? Can you just get 2 inch exhaust pipe and cut it to fit the same space as a resonator? Trying to get a little more flow for little money.... my allowance got cut when the baby arrived! Thanks in advance for any help guys!
My initial exhaust change was similar to what you're asking about. I took out both resonators, but replaced the OEM muffler with a glass pack. If you go to an auto parts supplier, you should be able to find exhaust pipe sections & if their selection is reasonable, you should be able to find some pieces that are made to replace resonators (these pieces are about 18" long, and are spread on one end to accept a normal exhaust pipe. If you can't get this, you can get normal exhaust pipe, some couplers & clamps for that pipe size, and do it that way. If you have 2 resonators, you'll find that when you remove the rear resonator, there will be an odd bend between the tail pipe and the muffler output pipe - you'll need to get creative with some generic pipe elbows to make the fit, along with some more couplers and clamps. If you want it all smooth looking, you will be able to go to any muffler shop and have them bend the pipes you need. If you do this, go to a shop that makes a smooth (mandril) bend vs. the crinkle bend - the smooth bend has a lot less flow resistance. The local shops here do both, I found that the local Speedy appears to do only the crinkle bend while Midas will make a smooth bend pipe - don't forget to ask or you may be surprised.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:22 PM
timbanditos

Thanks for the tips guys, 2.5 inch diameter and be aware of the minor bends. are clamps/couplers going to work fine as opposed to welds? I don't care if it doesn't look perfect, but I want to make sure it holds strong.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:23 AM
mattz

If you are pulling the muffler and leaving the resonators its just a straight peice of pipe. I left everything else stock just pulled the muffler. I paid a muffler shop but you should be able to do it in the driveway with clamps. This has got to be the cheapest way to go no bend to deal with.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker

Thanks for the tips guys, 2.5 inch diameter and be aware of the minor bends. are clamps/couplers going to work fine as opposed to welds? I don't care if it doesn't look perfect, but I want to make sure it holds strong.
Clamps and couplers will work fine as long as you pull the clamp tight. The coupler piece is made of mild steel and will indent with the pressure put on it by the U-clamp (standard exhaust clamp). If the joint isn't tight, you'll be able to see after a few days - there will be exhaust markings around areas that leak.

If I use heavy duty exhaust pipe, I'll get the bends done properly (mandrel bends) & weld the joints. If I'm using the el-cheapo exhaust repair sections with an assortment of pre-bent elbows, I tend to use clamps and couplers.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:58 PM
timbanditos

Thanks guys, got the clamps and couplers and a straight pipe to replace the resonator and keep stock muffler for now. Any tips on getting the resonator off the muffler side pipe? I have been banging and wd40 and I'm at a loss. The front end shook loose very easy.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:54 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker

Thanks guys, got the clamps and couplers and a straight pipe to replace the resonator and keep stock muffler for now. Any tips on getting the resonator off the muffler side pipe? I have been banging and wd40 and I'm at a loss. The front end shook loose very easy.
Cut that pipe off without damaging the muffler, then you'll need to use a hacksaw (or something similar) to cut into the short piece of the pipe that's left on the muffler and then use a cold chisel to peel it away - WD 40 won't be any help at all, it's not much use in penetrating rust or other corrosion. WD40 stands for Water Displacement formulation #40. Although penetrating oils don't do much for stuff that's really seized, they do contain chemicals that work as rust "penetraters" and creep agents to get it into very fine openings.

Quick Reply: Couple exhaust questions...