3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2006 Dakota. Whole Lotta Problems! U0101, P1603, ect...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 08:25 AM
SteveFro
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Dakota. Whole Lotta Problems! U0101, P1603, ect...

Good Day to all! This is my first post, but I have used this site for reference many times. The problem I'm encountering is unlike one I've ever had to deal with before. The truck is a 2006 Dakota V8, AWD. And the problem is a transmission stuck in limp mode and sending out up to 13 DTC codes.

I have done a lot of searching for a definite answer but have come up empty handed.

Here are the symptoms:
Trouble Codes - P1603, U0101
Pending Codes - P0846, P0871, P0988, P0876, P0882, P0700, U0101, P1603.

All of the following codes are linked to the transmission or PCM. Im guessing it needs a new PCM, but before I go and give up and hand it over to the dealership I'd like to see if their are any diagnostic procedures/troubleshooting trees that I can do.

Currently the truck is stuck in some sort of "Limp mode" and will get stuck in 4th gear and will not engage the 4wd.

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:18 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 1603 isn't very pretty, from my research on-line it looks like you have a communication problem internal to the PCM and that could also result in a whole bunch of other things like the 0101 code where the PCM can't communicate with other modules. You could take it to a dealership & bite the bullet for a thorough problem investigation - they have the equipment that you need to do a bunch of the tests to generally confirm a PCM malfunction or a need to look elsewhere (if you're lucky, this apparently could relate to the ignition switch). Having said that, not all dealership service centers have the same competency.

A few years ago, I had a problem with the PCM on a GM pickup and went to an auto salvage yard to talk about the consequences of buying one from another truck to save a bunch of cash. I ended up doing this and had a "mobile pcm reprogrammer" come by to reprogram the used pcm to work with my truck's security system etc. I got the phone number for this "mobile service" from the salvage yard guy. Depending on where you live, something like this might also be available.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:21 PM
ericemery
Retired Administrator
Hall of Fame Member

A while back, there was a raider on another site that had a lot of the same codes coming up... it was a PCM for him. His fault though... water up to your windows isnt good for things like that...

Best of luck with your issue though. If you have a good dealer to work with, you will certainly be farther ahead than guessing here on the forum. Good luck!

Old 09-09-2018, 08:36 PM
Hz n

Originally Posted by SteveFro
Good Day to all! This is my first post, but I have used this site for reference many times. The problem I'm encountering is unlike one I've ever had to deal with before. The truck is a 2006 Dakota V8, AWD. And the problem is a transmission stuck in limp mode and sending out up to 13 DTC codes.

I have done a lot of searching for a definite answer but have come up empty handed.

Here are the symptoms:
Trouble Codes - P1603, U0101
Pending Codes - P0846, P0871, P0988, P0876, P0882, P0700, U0101, P1603.

All of the following codes are linked to the transmission or PCM. Im guessing it needs a new PCM, but before I go and give up and hand it over to the dealership I'd like to see if their are any diagnostic procedures/troubleshooting trees that I can do.

Currently the truck is stuck in some sort of "Limp mode" and will get stuck in 4th gear and will not engage the 4wd.

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.
Hi, it's an old thread but I have exactly the same codes on my Dakota, only difference is that my vehicle is not in limp mode, it drives normal with all gears shifting normal but once it gets warm then you don't feel the initial gears but still you can drive, 4wd works as well.
Can you share your experience how you fixed or what was the solution? Thanks

Quick Reply: 2006 Dakota. Whole Lotta Problems! U0101, P1603, ect...