3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

05 Dakota Taillight problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 02:36 PM
nixshell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Dakota Taillight problem

hey everyone,

I've got an '05 Dakota V6 SLT. The other day the light idiot light came on telling me I have a light out. The left blinker blinks at a fast rate. So I find it's the driver's side rear blinker. All other tail lights and blinkers work. I buy a pack of bulbs and replace. When I put it in, still no good. Try the other bulb, still no good. Occasionally, the blinker speed will go back to normal indicating it's back, but by the time I get back to the rear of the truck, it starts blinking fast again. (Note: the blinker is not working, just the indicator in the cab)

All the contacts are clean as a whistle, no corrosion on the bulb or the contacts.

Edit: After testing the contacts for voltage I get nothing. The upper tail light shows 11.5 volts, but nothing on the lower for the blinker. The other blinker works fine. Probably no simple answer other than tracing it back to the fuse box and testing it everywhere. Anybody run across something like this or have any ideas?

thanks!

chris

Last edited by nixshell; 02-18-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:07 PM
Moneyman19
Captain

try replacing the relay.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:49 AM
calixdakota
Professional

hey- i have an 07
I got a broken tail ligth on driver side..and only a couple months after it broke i noticed that when i had my evening lights on the left indicator would tick really fast. and it wouldnt indicate on the light that i was turning, but when just running no lights/daytime or whatever, the indicator works fine. and when im in park the front driver headlight is out and driver side tail light is out, but when i put it in drive it lights up, im getting a new caseing tomororwnad bulb so i will be installing that and hopefully it work, if not im gonna have to try working on some fuses.
any how let me know if you figure it out! thanks,.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:52 PM
Evan Rattray
Amateur

I am having the same issue on my 05. I haven't started troubleshooting yet, I was hoping to find an answer on here. I am supposed to ship my truck to the states on the 9th of April so I have about 2 weeks to figure out what is wrong and get it fixed. Any help anybody can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:06 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Moneyman19
try replacing the relay.
These trucks dont have relays.
The one you hear is just to create the sound, and If you hear them at the Fuse Box, its RT and LT Relays for the Factory Trailer Harness.

Might be a broken or shorting wire somewhere.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:51 AM
italiandominator
All Star

Just letting you guys know, I am dealing with a similar problem right now with my 05 Dak. I'm just my driver side, my turn signal and brake light works just fine both in the front and the rear; But when just driving around with my lights on my front driver amberlite and my weird taillight do not work. I discovered soon after that there were two separate fuses that enabled just a regular running lights and the turn signals. After troubleshooting this for sometime the conclusion that I had come to with the help of people here in the forum was that I had a short-circuits somewhere. I just took my truck to the shop, and I was informed the issue was that my taillight sockets were corroded. I am not going to pay to have a mechanic fix something that I could do myself for a 10th of the price. Checking out rock auto I found a new taillamps plus an assembly would end up costing me less than $50 in parts. I am hoping to fix this issue in the next couple days. I will let you know how it goes.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:01 PM
calixdakota
Professional

HMM! I was having same issues! WITH THE SAME REALLY FAST TICKING OFF LEFT SIGNAL!
but my tail light was broken (driver side) i just got a new one in the mail from ROCKAUTO - new casing and bulbs - just replaced it and now everything is working perfect- except my driver side parking light doesnt illuminate (the yellow one) but when i use my turn signal it illumantes - the same bulb! (yellow one) dont make sense!
before i buy a new bulb should i check the fuse for the park light?
thanks
CALIX

Old 03-25-2013, 07:07 AM
italiandominator
All Star

Originally Posted by calixdakota
HMM! I was having same issues! WITH THE SAME REALLY FAST TICKING OFF LEFT SIGNAL!
but my tail light was broken (driver side) i just got a new one in the mail from ROCKAUTO - new casing and bulbs - just replaced it and now everything is working perfect- except my driver side parking light doesnt illuminate (the yellow one) but when i use my turn signal it illumantes - the same bulb! (yellow one) dont make sense!
before i buy a new bulb should i check the fuse for the park light?
thanks
CALIX

I hear what you're saying...does the rear tail parking light work just fine, or does it also only operate with the turn signal?

If it does, the only thing I can think of (if replacing the bulb doesn't help) check the socket connector for corrosion. If it was the fuse, then the tail parking light wouldn't work either (they are on the same fuse, which is separate from the turn/brake light fuse)

Quick Reply: 05 Dakota Taillight problem