3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Going to look at camper top

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 05:33 PM
adamjeeps
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to look at camper top

Hey all, I'm going to check out a camper top that is advertised as being for a 2012 Dakota. I assume it will be a perfect fit for my 2005. They are saying its new but has no warranty. I don't know where they got it from or anything. They say it is 6.5 feet so it should be for my Extended Cab.

Is there anything I should look for as far as possible issues? I will make sure it has clamps and the 3rd brake light wire. I have never bought one before so I don't want to get taken for a fool.

Thanks for any feedback!

Last edited by adamjeeps; 03-14-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:49 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I believe there are no changes to the bed between those years so you should be fine. Look for any issues that would prevent you from using it how you want to use it.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adamjeeps
Hey all, I'm going to check out a camper top that is advertised as being for a 2012 Dakota. I assume it will be a perfect fit for my 2005. They are saying its new but has no warranty. I don't know where they got it from or anything. They say it is 6.5 feet so it should be for my Extended Cab.

Is there anything I should look for as far as possible issues? I will make sure it has clamps and the 3rd brake light wire. I have never bought one before so I don't want to get taken for a fool.

Thanks for any feedback!
The only things Id say to look for, are mostly what you have said, Clamps / Mounting Hardware (I know some have straps the go down the bed sides) and that the third brake light wires are there.
Other then that, just check the camper over for any sights of water leaks (yellowish stains) and such.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:03 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Look that thing over well. There was no 2012 Dakota, they stopped making them with the 2011 model year. That alone tells me they either don't have a clue what they have, or don't have a clue what they're doing, which are both potentially hazardous to a buyer.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:43 PM
adamjeeps
Rookie

Originally Posted by jasonw
Look that thing over well. There was no 2012 Dakota, they stopped making them with the 2011 model year. That alone tells me they either don't have a clue what they have, or don't have a clue what they're doing, which are both potentially hazardous to a buyer.
Ended up getting it, it really looks brand new and had the clamps and a four wire harness for the brake light. Does this mean it functions as a signal too or that is the easiest way to hook it up?
IMG_20130316_133332.jpg
IMG_20130316_133458.jpg
IMG_20130316_133448.jpgIMG_20130316_133319.jpg

Old 03-16-2013, 03:24 PM
adamjeeps
Rookie

Figured out two wires are for inside light and two wires for center mount stop brake light. And I have found the white wire near the spare tire. Should be good to go afterwhile!

Old 03-16-2013, 03:54 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

This is not a "camper top" What you bought was a Cap or Topper.
It does look great on the truck

A Camper top in my books is

Old 03-16-2013, 04:36 PM
adamjeeps
Rookie

Originally Posted by Reject
This is not a "camper top" What you bought was a Cap or Topper.
It does look great on the truck

A Camper top in my books is
Ha yeah I guess I've just always called them that. I would have rather had a cap that was cab high but I got a pretty good deal on this one. I had been looking for awhile and only found a couple and none were white, then I saw this only about 75 miles away so it was a no brainer.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:01 PM
italiandominator
All Star

Wow, I've not seen a modern "camper top" like that in a while. I was the same way as Adam, just cuz in my searches, so many other people called caps or toppers as camper tops. I get annoyed when they refer to them as tonneau covers. I found one that is for a 2004 quad cab, same color as my truck for a good price. I've heard that they will fit, but might not match body lines etc. any of you have input on this?

Old 03-16-2013, 08:48 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by italiandominator
Wow, I've not seen a modern "camper top" like that in a while. I was the same way as Adam, just cuz in my searches, so many other people called caps or toppers as camper tops. I get annoyed when they refer to them as tonneau covers. I found one that is for a 2004 quad cab, same color as my truck for a good price. I've heard that they will fit, but might not match body lines etc. any of you have input on this?
98-04 Caps overhang slightly at the Rear sides, like a 1/4 each side. As our beds tapper more inward and the end.
Noticeable but not much, I had one before.

Quick Reply: Going to look at camper top