3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Fog light bulb upgrade for pa46-gf40

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 03:03 PM
TITANG9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog light bulb upgrade for pa46-gf40

2010 Dakota Big Horn.Fog light bulb: PA46-GF40

Anyone knows whatupgrades out there plug & play?
LED, ETC.?

Old 03-21-2013, 07:23 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

The more common term for that bulb is PS24W. Reason I know that is because I have a 2010 Dakota Big Horn as well, same bulbs. They made a switch from 2009 to 2010 I believe, from the common 9145 bulbs in the earlier years, to these. Cheaper housings can be used this way, as the bulbs are only 24w.

You can take a set of H16 bulbs, trim off one of the tiny tabs on them with wire cutters or a dremel tool, and they fit perfectly. I bought a set of 20w CREE LED H16 bulbs off of eBay (4x five watt CREE LEDs per bulb), going to give those a try as soon as the temperatures warm up a bit. Last thing I want to do is play around with the little plastic housings and sockets in freezing-ish temps, plastic loves to break when its that cold.

A single 5w CREE LED puts out a bit more light than our 24w halogen bulbs, so this should be good, and no playing around with HID conversion kits that may melt the housings (remember, the housings in the 2010-2011s are cheaper plastic than the 2009s and before) or high-wattage bulbs that may melt the housings.

They are Chinese, but worth a shot in my opinion. Here is where I got mine.

Last edited by jasonw; 03-21-2013 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Added link.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:30 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jasonw
The more common term for that bulb is PS24W. Reason I know that is because I have a 2010 Dakota Big Horn as well, same bulbs. They made a switch from 2009 to 2010 I believe, from the common 9145 bulbs in the earlier years, to these. Cheaper housings can be used this way, as the bulbs are only 24w.

You can take a set of H16 bulbs, trim off one of the tiny tabs on them with wire cutters or a dremel tool, and they fit perfectly. I bought a set of 20w CREE LED H16 bulbs off of eBay (4x five watt CREE LEDs per bulb), going to give those a try as soon as the temperatures warm up a bit. Last thing I want to do is play around with the little plastic housings and sockets in freezing-ish temps, plastic loves to break when its that cold.

A single 5w CREE LED puts out a bit more light than our 24w halogen bulbs, so this should be good, and no playing around with HID conversion kits that may melt the housings (remember, the housings in the 2010-2011s are cheaper plastic than the 2009s and before) or high-wattage bulbs that may melt the housings.

They are Chinese, but worth a shot in my opinion. Here is where I got mine.
post pictures when you install them!

Old 03-21-2013, 07:38 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by 06Dak4.7Silver
post pictures when you install them!
I plan on it. My only fear is I'll like them so much, I'll have to wire up my headlights for high wattage bulbs so the headlights look as sharp as the LEDs... or finally decide to bite the bullet and muck around with HIDs.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:50 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jasonw
I plan on it. My only fear is I'll like them so much, I'll have to wire up my headlights for high wattage bulbs so the headlights look as sharp as the LEDs... or finally decide to bite the bullet and muck around with HIDs.
HID's from DDM tuning get a bi-xenon kit in 5k to match the white LED's. Bi-xenon harnesses (which come with the kit) are basically a relay harness so that is all you need to buy. They will work..trust me! Day and night difference man

Old 03-22-2013, 12:00 PM
TITANG9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JasonW, Thanks foryour advice. I like your idea about the 20w CREE LED H16.

By the way, I likedyour warning about the HIDs. It happened to my girlfriend’s Dodge SUV. Almost everythingburned/melted: bumper, fog light and wires. A total mess.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:51 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

I keep on almost pulling the trigger on a set of DDM HIDs. Much higher quality than the Chinese junk you see on eBay, and not badly priced. There is also the retrofitsolutions guys, which have some of the best reviews, but they are about double the price.

The trick to avoid the melting is usually the wiring harness (not using the factory one by itself), and making sure they are not too powerful for what you put them into. For example, the 55w units you see for sale now would do terrible things to most fog light housings.

Quick Reply: Fog light bulb upgrade for pa46-gf40