3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Shifting Motor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 01:08 PM
sporty98
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting Motor Replacement

2006 Dakota Quad SLT. Trying to replace the transfer case shifting motor. Can anyone verify that I must remove the front driveshaft YOKE from the transfer case? Driveshaft is already removed but I still cannot get the shifting motor past the yoke. And do I simply pull the yoke with 3-jaw puller? I see a large nut in the center, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the yoke just pulls out.
Thanks.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:16 PM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sporty98
2006 Dakota Quad SLT. Trying to replace the transfer case shifting motor. Can anyone verify that I must remove the front driveshaft YOKE from the transfer case? Driveshaft is already removed but I still cannot get the shifting motor past the yoke. And do I simply pull the yoke with 3-jaw puller? I see a large nut in the center, but I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the yoke just pulls out.
Thanks.
Sporty, I'd recommend that you download the 05 shop manual - the location of that manual is given in a sticky on this forum. In that manual, in chapter 21, page 913 you'll find a description of the motor removal/installation. It doesn't tell you about the yoke, but the pictures suggest that you take it off. There are 2 pictures and the second shows the shaft without a yoke & the end of the shaft is threaded. Most yokes of this type slide onto splines and are held in place by the large nut which isn't always easy to remove, then you may need a puller to remove the yoke itself.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:47 PM
i.who.made.you
Professional

I'm having to replace the shift motor on my 05 Quad cab tomorrow. Any advice about removing the forward output shaft and the yoke?

Old 06-11-2013, 11:16 PM
sporty98

Originally Posted by i.who.made.you
I'm having to replace the shift motor on my 05 Quad cab tomorrow. Any advice about removing the forward output shaft and the yoke?
Hey sorry for not getting right back to you. Drive shaft is easy enough. Four bolts on the front, right at the rear (yoke end). Shaft comes right out. Yoke is a different story. Absolutely MUST be removed to remove shift motor. I gave up and had a guy do it for me. He used an impact wrench to remove the large nut holding the yoke in place. The motor itself is then easy remove/replace. Did not need to replace any seals around yoke. Did use lock tite on replacing bolts. End result is the spontaneous shifting in/out of 4WD is gone. Good luck.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:19 PM
i.who.made.you
Professional

To late for me to give up I have it in pieces in the garage. I have an impact to remove the nut on the yoke I just can't get the yoke to lock so I can remove the nut.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:08 PM
i.who.made.you
Professional

Finally got it using an impact and having someone else hold the yoke still. Got it all put back together and the 4wd works, but not it makes a grinding noise from the front differential while in 4wd, but thats another problem for another day.

Quick Reply: Shifting Motor Replacement