3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Another Towing Question-Raider V6

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 09:21 PM
nickxrx
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Towing Question-Raider V6

I need some advice and opinions. I have an 07 Mits. Raider-V6-2wd. I need to tow an 1983 chevy pickup 4x4 one-way 1000 miles. My question is does the V6 model and V8 models have the same transmission? Also, my truck is equipped with a transmission cooler, however, its tied into the radiator. I plan to put an external coil for the cooler. Is this possible and how easy? Also, how hard would it be to put a trans temp gauge in? TIA

Old 05-20-2013, 02:17 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have the automatic, no, the V6 and V8 models do not have the same transmission. The V6 came with a 42RLE auto and the V8 with the 545RFE auto.

If manual transmission (not sure that was offered for the Mitsu?), then yes, they are the same.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:07 AM
nickxrx
Amateur

I have an auto transmission. If I put the trans cooler on, would you guys think the transmission would hold up hauling 4500+ pounds?

Old 05-22-2013, 12:53 AM
JoeyDMG
Professional

You could buy something like an Ultragauge so you can monitor transmission and engine temps as an extra precaution.

The transmission cooler should help if installed properly, but there's other factors to consider such as brakes, tires, diff, etc.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:45 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nickxrx
I have an auto transmission. If I put the trans cooler on, would you guys think the transmission would hold up hauling 4500+ pounds?
How far are you hauling it? It looks like your Raider is rated at around 4000 lbs towing capacity. Especially with a transmission cooler, and if the truck has been decently maintained, you could probably get away with towing that much for a very short distance (like around town from your house to a shop, or from house to house, at low speeds).

However, for a longer distance (especially highway), you will need something with more capability.

Quick Reply: Another Towing Question-Raider V6