3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2006 transmission temp light

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 10:55 AM
troutsmustang
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 transmission temp light

just had my 2006 4x4 transmission rebuilt at 78000. It is running fine, but when I go up a dirt steep mountain road in 4 wheel drive, the temp light comes on. I have taken it back to shop twice, but they can not find anything. Does any one have and suggestions? It only started this since the new rebuild. ds

Old 05-26-2013, 07:30 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by troutsmustang
just had my 2006 4x4 transmission rebuilt at 78000. It is running fine, but when I go up a dirt steep mountain road in 4 wheel drive, the temp light comes on. I have taken it back to shop twice, but they can not find anything. Does any one have and suggestions? It only started this since the new rebuild. ds
I'm assuming that this rebuild has a warranty attached. I would offer to take one of their techs for a ride on one of these roads to show how it heated up. They should have some mobile test equipment that can monitor this in real time so they can actually see a lot of what's happening to give them some clues as to where to look and then I'd leave the truck with them to fix. They should also give you a loaner vehicle to use while they fix the warrantied problem. If they're a reputable outfit, they should know many of the areas that would lead to this condition - even things as simple as poor filters could slow down the flow rate enough to cause a heat increase. To me, it appears that the shop isn't looking t0o hard - it will cost them time and money to fix this problem & they may just want it to go away. I wouldn't jump into any repairs myself, since this would definitely take that shop off-the-hook as far as honoring the warranty.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:55 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Troutsmustang,

Was the repair completed at a Dodge dealer or an independent? I would agree with Alfons and review the workmanship that was completed by your servicing center. A test drive with a tech is a good way to assist in duplicating the problem, since you know when it happens and they should be able to track it from there.

I hope this helps. Keep us posted on the outcome.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:46 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know a common issue for Transmissions is non-OEM filters, They can cause lots of problems.

Quick Reply: 2006 transmission temp light