3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Synthetic Oil Myths

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 03:42 PM
italiandominator
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Synthetic Oil Myths

Hey guys, came across this video and I'm opening up to your thoughts.

The only one that is new to me was #5, switching back to conventional oil after using a synthetic. I was always told, once you switch you should NOT switch back, but in the video, the Mobil1 Engineers are saying that is not true. What do you think?

Old 05-25-2013, 04:35 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All I ever hear are how great synthetic oils are and how long they last, no one ever talks about an oil filter and how long they last and keep dirt out, what good is changing your oil every 10000 miles if your oil filter breaks down around 5000 miles

Old 05-25-2013, 10:42 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YOU want me to listen to GIRL about oil? LOL LOL

Old 05-28-2013, 12:37 AM
italiandominator
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moe: if you watch the video, she is just one of the several engineers from Mobil1 that give their little speech.

SuperDak: Even though I've heard some say that you can wait up until 10K miles to change synthetic, I still change it every 5K with a new filter.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:37 AM
TomZ
Professional

Originally Posted by superdak05
All I ever hear are how great synthetic oils are and how long they last, no one ever talks about an oil filter and how long they last and keep dirt out, what good is changing your oil every 10000 miles if your oil filter breaks down around 5000 miles
Some folks change the filter @ 5,000 miles and top off the oil to compensate for the oil in the filter. Me, I just change everything @ 6,000 miles using a premium filter like WIX, Mobil 1, or Bosch. Over the life of the vehicle, oil changes are not that expensive: 6 qts of oil, ($23.00 a gallon at WalMart) $34.50. Filter: $13.00, total $47.50. Avg mileage per year of 24,000 miles a year: $190.00. Less than $200 a year for premium protection is well worth it for me. Actually it's even less as I only have 25,000 on the truck right now (2010 Big Horn extended cab V8)

Old 05-28-2013, 01:11 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I've yet to see anything definite on the oil filter interval. I have been changing the oil and filter with syn on my car at 10k miles for 10 years now with no issues. But I'm only at 405k miles, so the jury is still out.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Back in the 70's, when Mobil One first came out, it was sold as providing better lube and resisting thermal break down. Less sludge, in other words. Which is what tends to clog up filters. I had a Corolla that had Mobil One all its life, the engine lasted forever, tho the water pump, starter, clutch, and 5 speed didn't. A great car to learn mechniking on.

I used to work for a trucking co. that had a 20,000 mile change interval on the synthetic oil and filters. They saved enough in oil, labor, & filters to offset the loss of longevity--and by the time the oil got changed, you could smell it from the cab. They send their used oil to a reprocessor for cleaning and an additive and used it as add oil. Otoh, one could argue that they passed any wear problems on to the poor Mexican or Chinese owners that eventually got our used truck--but they ran well at 500,000 miles of hard use (company trucks tend to be under spec'd.)

When I was running a delivery van (1 ton Ford, Triton V8) I settled on using good filters (Wix, Mobil One, etc.) and Walmart's Synthetic. And I ran a 10,000 plus change interval. No problems, and the synthetic saved me money. But again, I may have passed on lube problems to subsequent owners--I ditched the truck when the business died--and it ran well at 95,000 miles. (It was a great van, btw!)

My Dakota is hi mileage, and I'm running just regular dyno oil (tho there may be some synthetic in there.) I use Rotella T, buy it at Walmart for about $12 a gallon and I use cheap $3 filters. My Dak has probably had mostly dyno oil for all of its 230000 miles, and when I changed out the rear main seal this last winter, there was no sludge, just everything is plated with a reddish tan to brown patina. Rear main bearing looked good, & so did the cylinder bores.

I haven't really decided on the oil change interval for the Dak. Tho I think probably around 3,000 miles is a bit short.

Modern dyno oils are so darned good, synthetic for old school engines like my 5.2 may be overkill.

In 45 years of driving, I've never had an oil filter clog, btw.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:54 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I only ran synthetic oil and Wix filters in the Dak. Changed every 6k or 6 months. All my other cars (5 others) I use Pennzoil 5w-30 and Fram filters, change every 3k, 3 months. I have NEVER had a oil related engine issue or filter problem with any vehicle. Some people bash Fram filters, but they have never let me down. I figure 3k/3 mo. interval will prevent major problems from developing. There are many schools of thought on the issue and many existing threads in this forum discussing synthetic oils and oil change intervals. It really comes down to personal preference, like mufflers, everyone has their own opinion and way of doing things. When in doubt, change your oil and have a sample sent off for analysis, adjust accordingly.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Oil Myths