3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Lift Blocks

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 11:33 PM
Deadsquiggles
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Blocks

I have a 2005 Dakota with the 4.7 and 4WD and I'm looking just to get about 2" of lift all around so I decided on the 2" Daystar coil spacers, but I'm having trouble finding something specifically for the rear axle of my Dak. I can find add-a-leafs and helper springs and such, and I was thinking those my give me the 2" I want for the back, but I was also considering blocks as a cheaper alternative. Problem is, and this may be because I should've went to bed 3 hours ago and am now delirious, but the only blocks I can find are for the Ram 1500. Will the blocks for the 1500 work for my Dak and also, will the Monroe Sensa-Tracs I put on a few months ago still work if I do lift the rear 2"?
Thanks in advance,
Tommy

Old 06-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Deadsquiggles
Veteran

Anybody, any help?

Old 06-02-2013, 03:20 PM
dsimm87
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had 1.5" cast iron blocks from a 94-01 Ram 1500. They fit perfectly... sort-of. After a few months, they cracked. The blocks were off by a degree or less and cracked to fall into form with the axle housing. I took them out and put in a cheap-o helper leaf. Got about 1" from the spring compared to 1.5" with the blocks but I definitely recommend the add-a-leaf. In my case the add-a-leaf was much cheaper than the blocks ($37 for both leafs free shipping from amazon). But if you want 2" lift in the rear with the springs, I'd imagine you'd have to pay more.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:24 PM
dsimm87
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my thread on the matter. There's a bit about a saddle or mount for blocks that you might want to consider.. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-cracking.html

Old 06-02-2013, 05:24 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you saying your spring perch wasn't flat? It's supposed to be. If it's not, the fix is to weld a piece of 1/4" x 2-1/2" flatbar on top of it to make it flat. Then you won't crack blocks.

All the add-a-leafs I've used (admittedly, not all that many) have really stiffened up the ride, and not in a way that I found favorable. Blocks are nicer in this regard because they don't affect the ride quality at all (unless they're huge).

Old 06-02-2013, 06:16 PM
Deadsquiggles
Veteran

@TomA, Yeah, i like the way it rides now so i don't really want to stiffen it up and since i don't go off road and am just looking for more ground clearance so i figure blocks are the way to go.
@dsimm87 thanks for the link

Quick Reply: Lift Blocks