3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013 | 11:17 PM
krm86
|
Default Power Steering

have an 05 Dodge Dakota...in last mo. noticed power steering is jurking back/forth in slow speeds, in town, while turning right/left...it's intermintent (sp), no noise in power steering pump, like it's OK...had tires checked as far as alingment..ok...145k o tk. runs great...and also great on highway as faster speeds, but in town at slow speeds and making turns it is jurking...pwer steering fluid ok....drained and put in Lucas power steering/rack pinion conditioner and it was ok a couple days now it's doing it again...any ideas..."Thanks"

Old 06-06-2013 | 07:44 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Read this thread. Sounds like your rack is on the way out. Welcome to DF.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-new-rack.html

Old 06-16-2013 | 01:16 PM
jamesdavidw

07 dakota 3.7l I'm have a similar problem. It feels like the link between the wheel and the rack is bent (eze to turn then hard to turn). weird part is that I left for 3 day and when I got back it was fine until about an hour later. I got lots of fluid, pump looks ok (no rust almost new), new steering rods. wtf?

Old 06-17-2013 | 12:23 AM
moe7404
Record Breaker

warring. IF you try to flush the pump do NOT use solvent or other thin fluids. DO use the reg oil.. under power solvent does not have enough lube abilalty , the pump will freeze up.

Old 06-17-2013 | 01:18 AM
EVguy
Veteran

Originally Posted by jamesdavidw
07 dakota 3.7l I'm have a similar problem. It feels like the link between the wheel and the rack is bent (eze to turn then hard to turn). weird part is that I left for 3 day and when I got back it was fine until about an hour later. I got lots of fluid, pump looks ok (no rust almost new), new steering rods. wtf?
I just did the rack on my 08. Same problem, sometimes it worked fine and other times it had "hard spots"

Quick Reply: Power Steering