3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Heated mirror upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 12:11 PM
Portmob69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated mirror upgrade

Hello everyone!

Has anyone successfully added heated mirrors to their Gen III Dakota that did not have heated rear window or heated mirrors?

I installed the 6x9 folding heated mirrors(same connector), installed the relay(ebl), all fuses were already there(and good), and bought the HVAC control module with the defrost switch(same connector). I can jump the relay and get the mirrors to work but I cannot get the defrost switch to activate the relay. I have gotten mixed information from the net and dealers. I tried taking a wire from the ground side of the relay and putting in the open locations on the HVAC control module wiring connector and they all ground the circuit but none of them will break the ground when the defrost switch is turned off. I want to do this OEM factory and I don't want to spend alot of money letting the dealer try and figure it out. I read somewhere there is no dedicated wire in the HVAC control module for the mirror/defrost that it sends a signal to the FCM that grounds the circuit. I read that if your FCM was not installed with defrost it won't understand the signal. I also read here that there is nothing to turn on at the dealer but were they only looking for heated mirror option as this could be under rear window defrost, towing mirror, or EBL. I really want to make this work but need some help to see if this is possible OEM style. PLease help.

Thanks!

Old 07-24-2013, 01:43 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Welcome to DF. I'm not sure the answer you need but hopefully someone will chime in. IIRC, the heated mirror option came with the rear defrost and was activated by the rear defrost button (at least mine was).

Old 07-24-2013, 04:46 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the heated mirrors (didnt have the connector tho, so I cant use it, which sucks)
But from everything ive read, Its like Jkeaton said, Its controlled by the Rear Window Defrost. So I would assume, Youd need the Rear Window Defrost option turned on.
I have the Rear window Defrost option, But saddly dont have Power Mirrors/Locks/Windows so I dont have the correct door harness.

The Tool the dealer would use is there StarScan. I had to have it done for my Fogs, Altho Everything was In-place, Minus the Switch and Lights they wouldnt work without being StarScanned and turned on.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:37 PM
Portmob69

I read on here that someone took theirs to the dealer and they said there is nothing for the heated mirrors to turn on but not sure if they knew to look for other things that are related like rear defrost, electric back light, towing mirrors or something like that to turn on. I called a bunch of dealers and one of the local ones near me said they would give it a shot. I just wanted to see if anyone was successful with this. I read many posts on here and other forums and guys got to this point then the post stops. Thanks for the feedback. I will try and keep this up to date as I try different things. I would really like to figure this out and let everyone else know how.
Thanks!

Old 07-24-2013, 09:38 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

I just want to confirm that the rear defrost button does control the heated mirrors. I have the heated mirrors, but not the rear defroster (I have the sliding rear window). There is not a separate switch or button for the mirrors.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:32 AM
Neil Hall
Professional

i posted about this when i first got by dak.. if you have power mirrors, windows, and locks the wiring it already there. all you should need is the replacement heater controls with the defrost button and possibly a relay for the fuse box..

Old 07-25-2013, 03:39 AM
Portmob69

No it is not that easy. I got the heater controller with the switch, added the missing relay, and installed the heated mirrors and the switch will not flip the relay on. I bypass the relay and jump the circuit and the mirrors heat so you are correct that the wiring is there but the issue is something is missing to get the switch on HVAC controller to activate the relay. I even tried multiple relays and I manually grounded the ground side of the relay and the relay operates normally. I got them working without the OEM switch but I really want to make this OEM. We even looked in my brother's 2500 with an HVAC control module that is almost the same and his has rear defrost/heated mirrors and he has one additional wire in the wiring harness for the HVAC controller so not sure if that may be a clue because his wire arrangement in the harness is a little different(colors/locations of wires). I cannot find anyone anywhere that took this upgrade to completion using the OEM controller.

Last edited by Portmob69; 07-25-2013 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Content edit
Old 07-25-2013, 09:06 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dakotaff
I just want to confirm that the rear defrost button does control the heated mirrors. I have the heated mirrors, but not the rear defroster (I have the sliding rear window). There is not a separate switch or button for the mirrors.
That is correct. See I have the opposite, I have the rear defrost, but not he heated mirrors, even though they are the towing mirrors and from what I gather its the same button/same location.

Also from what I gather there were 3 options... None, Heater Mirror, or Heated Rear Window, the window option would cancel the mirrors out. Good luck, I am subscribed to this thread as it has always been a curiosity that I havent ever investigated.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If someone wants to send me thier door harness ill tell you if adding heated mirrors with the Rear Defrost factory option works. haha

Ive seen other vehicles have the heated mirrors come on when the HVAC is set to Front Window with heat on, never tested with heat off lol

Old 07-25-2013, 08:55 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

I would do this if it was possible..I don't have heated back glass though so its probably not going to happen for me. Anyone think the tow mirrors would look good on my truck? I'm adding 2" to the rear too so it will sit pretty high..I feel like they only look goofy on stock height trucks

Quick Reply: Heated mirror upgrade