3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Is this not a good idea?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 04:35 PM
ouv
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this not a good idea?

So I bought a lift kit for my 06, just an easy 3".

It has the blocks and the u bolts for the rear end and the 3" coil spring lifter for the front. Now, my truck isn't level, has the stock height.
Where it's like 3" in the back and 1.5" in the front (EXAMPLES, not exact numbers)

So when I install this, it's not going to look good, so what should I do to level it? Because the leveling kit I believe is the coil spacer.

My question is, can I get another 2" or 3" (Whatever the size I need to level it out) and bolt that to the other coil spacer and do it that way? Or is that too dangerous and not enough support?

Old 08-12-2013, 05:16 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Confusing. First sentence you state it is a 3" coil spring lifter? What is that? If its just a spacer, your going to destroy the front end putting in a 3". 2.5" is max with 4x4 and even thin your still going to go through front end parts quicker due to the extreme angles being placed on the CV joints, tie rods and ball joints.

Your last sentence you say its a coil spring spacer and you want to bolt another one on top of that? This does not sound like a very good plan and extremely dangerous. Please don't do this. Thats like stacking lift blocks on the rear only twice as bad. What kit did you buy? And did you do any research on here regarding lifting these trucks before you bought the kit?

Old 08-12-2013, 06:01 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So you got a lift kit, 3" all around. But you also want it level. return the 3" kit, get a 2" front and maybe a 1" rear block and a body lift. Safest and most affordable, and frankly the only option other than the $4000 lift that hasn't gained much ground.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:23 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Yeah that ^^.

I had a 2.5" spacer and 1.5" helper springs.

This was just the 2.5" spacers:

It did sag in the back.

This was with the 1.5" helper springs and 2.5" spacers. Brought back just a little rake. Back set about 1/2" higher measured from the wheel well lip to the center of the wheel.

Add a 3" body lift and your close to 5" which is about all you can do without going to the expensive stuff Frenicx mentioned.

Last edited by jkeaton; 08-12-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:17 AM
EVguy
Veteran
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you maybe have a 1 1/2" front spacer which with the geometry of the front end will give you more like 2 1/2" of lift?
With the front blocks you will get more lift than just the thickness of the block and like everyone else has said 2" or maybe 2 1/2" is MAX for a 4X4 Dakota.

Quick Reply: Is this not a good idea?