3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Hate factory bed anchors. What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 11:14 PM
DakotaAgain?
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hate factory bed anchors. What to do?

Those sliding eye hooks drive me nuts every time I have to use them. Way too much work, they stick and need wiggling to move them. Is there any improvements we can make to this system? Either fixed eye bolts or something that slides a lot smoother and can be tightened quicker. My bed has a liner that hides what is under it, so I don't know what I am drilling into if I want to add my own anchors.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:37 AM
Alfons
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaAgain?
Those sliding eye hooks drive me nuts every time I have to use them. Way too much work, they stick and need wiggling to move them. Is there any improvements we can make to this system? Either fixed eye bolts or something that slides a lot smoother and can be tightened quicker. My bed has a liner that hides what is under it, so I don't know what I am drilling into if I want to add my own anchors.
Look underneath the bed and you'll see what you'd hit with a drill bit. What you should put in highly depends on what you want to hold down. The body metal isn't very thick, so if you just drill a few holes for some I-bolts, you could end up having those bolts pull out or at least disfigure the area they're in (once the metal is stretched, it won't go back to it's original shape without some expensive coaxing). If you want to have some tie-downs on the floor, I'd recommend adding some steel plates on both sides of the hole to spread the load.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:04 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your adding Mounts to the Top of the Rails (Sides of the rails is flimsy on my 05)

The first 12" or so of my bed, Doesnt fall into the Box. Youd have to reach up from under the truck inside to get the any holes placed there, and it is NOT easy.

Best option. Would be do like I did and have a Rack made around the box, Or have some L Channel to add support to the Rails. (Have a U shape made so it also runs across at the Cab for Added support) This way it also helps hold itself inside the truck.

My entire rack is only mounted with 4, 1/4-3/8 Bolts and I can rock the entire truck without any issues. and ive ratchet strapped things tight aswell.without issues.

I removed the Angled parts to install my Toolbox across

Old 08-26-2013, 10:45 PM
DakotaAgain?
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good but it is a bit too much for my needs. Where do I buy a few extra tie downs that would slide in the channel? Don't particularly like the way they are tightened though. Somebody did a DIY I-bolt for the rails but I couldn't understand how it worked.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2010_Dodge_Dakota-td-v.jpg (45.7 KB, 28 views)

Quick Reply: Hate factory bed anchors. What to do?