3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

new lug nut help

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 12:21 AM
Greatrack2012
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new lug nut help

Well I need new lug nuts because these chrome capped lug nuts are in some ruff shape. To start I had a bad mechanic do some work on the truck and he stripped the casing on some of my lug nuts a few years ago ( he also didn't do some things he said he did. Witch is why I call him a bad mechanic )Any way so I've been putting it off and every time I rotate my tires or do some work on the truck they get worse. So I've decided its time to replace them.

Any suggestions of brands or places I could get them would be great!!!!!

Thanks for the help

Old 09-01-2013, 01:34 AM
italiandominator
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in a similar boat as you. I have after-market rims. First thing is , probably just like you (and several others), when I first got them and a few times since I've had to go in for an alignment (swapped tie rods and other suspension parts separately). Well, for mechanics, time really is money...so when you don't go to someone you trust, they are not going to take the time to torque each nut to spec...they will just use an impact gun and torque the living s*** out of it. On top of that, going back to my rims... On these rims, you can't use an impact socket to take them off. The clearance between the nut and hole it sits in is so tight that you have to use a regular, thin walled 13/16ths deep well socket. Well, on top of not wanting to torque my lug nuts correctly, they will once again go to impact the crap out of it, but they don't realize that the impact socket stops at the rim while the nut keeps getting driven forward and out of the socket...to the point that they start stripping the outside corners...Oh, and don't even get me started on how they won't even take the time to make sure the lug nuts are even seated correctly before they go to the gun. It's like they say to themselves..."Hmmm....I think I'm cross threading this thing....oh well, not my truck." So, now I refrain as much as godly possible NOT to let mechanics touch my weels...and if they do have to, I bring my own socket and watch them as they take it off. So if I can't get the right kind of tap and die set, I'm gonna have to find a way to replace several of my lugs as well...odd thing it's only one on each wheel, one exactly. Hmmm, now it makes me wonder too.....

Old 09-01-2013, 09:47 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

I had new ones put on when i got new tires at discount tire. Lot of folks use Gorilla as well.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:20 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I went with these Gorilla lugs, nice and solid.

http://www.brandsport.com/grla-91198ht.html

Old 09-01-2013, 01:11 PM
Greatrack2012
Professional

Originally Posted by dakotaff
I went with these Gorilla lugs, nice and solid.

http://www.brandsport.com/grla-91198ht.html
ok I was looking at those. Thanks

Originally Posted by jkeaton
I had new ones put on when i got new tires at discount tire. Lot of folks use Gorilla as well.
Ok thanks I think those might be the ones then

Originally Posted by italiandominator
I'm in a similar boat as you. I have after-market rims. First thing is , probably just like you (and several others), when I first got them and a few times since I've had to go in for an alignment (swapped tie rods and other suspension parts separately). Well, for mechanics, time really is money...so when you don't go to someone you trust, they are not going to take the time to torque each nut to spec...they will just use an impact gun and torque the living s*** out of it. On top of that, going back to my rims... On these rims, you can't use an impact socket to take them off. The clearance between the nut and hole it sits in is so tight that you have to use a regular, thin walled 13/16ths deep well socket. Well, on top of not wanting to torque my lug nuts correctly, they will once again go to impact the crap out of it, but they don't realize that the impact socket stops at the rim while the nut keeps getting driven forward and out of the socket...to the point that they start stripping the outside corners...Oh, and don't even get me started on how they won't even take the time to make sure the lug nuts are even seated correctly before they go to the gun. It's like they say to themselves..."Hmmm....I think I'm cross threading this thing....oh well, not my truck." So, now I refrain as much as godly possible NOT to let mechanics touch my weels...and if they do have to, I bring my own socket and watch them as they take it off. So if I can't get the right kind of tap and die set, I'm gonna have to find a way to replace several of my lugs as well...odd thing it's only one on each wheel, one exactly. Hmmm, now it makes me wonder too.....
ya I try my best to not go to any mechanic. I don't like having my tires changed but thats one thing I ca t do. Right now I have those stock alloys but am hoping after I get all my suspension problems delt with I will get some new rims some time this year.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:14 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got Gorilla too. Except mine are black and deep lugs

Old 09-01-2013, 07:36 PM
Greatrack2012
Professional

Originally Posted by 06Dak4.7Silver
I got Gorilla too. Except mine are black and deep lugs
My only concern with those is if the black chips and rusts. Also I have the stock rims ( for now ) do I need long lugs ?

Old 09-01-2013, 09:57 PM
dakotaff
Champion

Originally Posted by Greatrack2012
My only concern with those is if the black chips and rusts. Also I have the stock rims ( for now ) do I need long lugs ?
I don't see a need for longer lugs. There are plenty of 2" lugs available for some reason. The 1.4" lugs are fine, and don't stick out from the wheel.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:07 PM
Greatrack2012
Professional

Originally Posted by dakotaff
I don't see a need for longer lugs. There are plenty of 2" lugs available for some reason. The 1.4" lugs are fine, and don't stick out from the wheel.

Awesome thanks for the help

Old 09-02-2013, 09:41 AM
dakotaff
Champion

Anyone looking for black Gorilla lugs, 1.52" long,, the part number is 66198BDX.

They come in 4, 16 & 20 packs.

Black Gorilla lugs, 4 pack

Black Gorilla lugs, 20 pack