3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

08 headlights suck

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013 | 01:13 AM
EVguy
|
Veteran

On the weekend I pulled the headlights so I could paint the chrome trim black along with the grill.
While I had them out I removed the little reflector cups around the bulb and it did help a bit.
I also wired the fog lights through a relay so they come on any time the park lights come on.
At least that adds a bit more light directly in front of the truck when on low or high beams.
I don't want to put too much time or money into the fog light system as I hope to come up with a new bumper option with some good lights in it over the winter.

Old 10-10-2013 | 11:17 AM
LoCatus
Rookie

Reading through this, I have to ask. Have you had the headlight alignment checked? Your problem reads like they might be aimed too high.

Low beam + driving lights, good immediate coverage.
High beam, you loose the driving lights and immediate coverage they provide, but I bet you can see the top half of the trees real good.

Old 10-11-2013 | 07:45 AM
northgator8
All Star

Originally Posted by LoCatus
Reading through this, I have to ask. Have you had the headlight alignment checked? Your problem reads like they might be aimed too high.

High beam, you loose the driving lights and immediate coverage they provide, but I bet you can see the top half of the trees real good.
To paraphrase Robin Williams "If you were right, we'd agree with you"

The headlights on these things don't seem to ever aim properly.

I get people complaining all the time (flashing their lights) when I have low beams on - then I hit my highs.

Lots of light, but not where you need it, really. Mine were aimed properly with the new-fangled machine even. I doubt they are properly aimed now . . .

Old 10-11-2013 | 11:56 PM
EVguy
|
Veteran

Originally Posted by LoCatus

You made me think about this.
Tonight I went out on a long straight chunk of country road and did some testing.
I sat there with high beams on and just played with the rear air bag pressures. I get at least 3 inches of lift with max air. With no air the lights were indeed looking at the tops of the trees but with max air they were a bit low on the road. Where I normally have them inflated to, the truck sits level and the lights were covering the road the best they can.
I do think there is quite an improvement with the little cups removed from in front of the bulbs.

Old 01-28-2015 | 07:47 PM
GetFoxed

Originally Posted by 06Dak4.7Silver
Get HID's for headlights (bixenon kit will be to you radvantage) They are great in the fogs too. Use a relay harness with both kits which are only an extra 8-10 $ and you will have zero issues. For maximum light choose between 4500k-8000k. Do not go higher, it looks like crap anyways I recommend DDM tuning for a high quality kit. HIDextra which atleast used to be a forum vendor isn't bad either. DDM gets you on shipping but the kits are affordable
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but with the DDM HID Kits, what relay do you need? I have an 05 and I just ordered the slim 55W kit 6K Kit, and they said I don't need the relay?? I am also changing the fogs to a 55W 3K kit. Why do you say they need a relay, did they tell you that? Or is is just from experience? What has your experience been? thanks ahead of time.

Quick Reply: 08 headlights suck