3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

front end still shaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 04:53 PM
Greatrack2012
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...psedb585df.jpg

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0cda0a1b.jpg

Those are the old discs they were glazed over and had huge chips.
cant find any pics of the front of them bit there glazed and pitted

Old 09-14-2013, 12:39 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is your truck a 4x4? Standard trans or automatic? Also, is the shaking relevant to vehicle speed, rpm, or both? Does the shaking get worse as you increase speed? Lets also take into consideration other things that rotate:

-CV axle assemblies (if it is 4WD)
-Driveshaft
-U-joints
-Engine's rotating assembly
-Clutch/Flywheel assembly (if it's a standard trans)

The more information on the problem, the easier it will be for us to try and pinpoint areas of concern.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:17 AM
Greatrack2012
Professional

Its a 2010 4x4 automatic.
It really only shakes at 100-110 some times around 90. It never gets worse it either goes away or just keeps shaking.

I hope this is enough info if not just let me know.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:14 PM
peejoe

funny you wouldn't start with the simple stuff and then progress with your search .... alignment is something that should be done when changing tires or rotating... I would hav my mechanic check all front end parts while he is down there... same thing when I get the oil changed ... he knows to take a good look around ... and then he will let me know what else I am in for .. or he will ask me questions about how she is handleing or is it making any noises... anyway .. just a rant ..

Old 09-14-2013, 04:39 PM
Greatrack2012
Professional

Originally Posted by peejoe
funny you wouldn't start with the simple stuff and then progress with your search .... alignment is something that should be done when changing tires or rotating... I would hav my mechanic check all front end parts while he is down there... same thing when I get the oil changed ... he knows to take a good look around ... and then he will let me know what else I am in for .. or he will ask me questions about how she is handleing or is it making any noises... anyway .. just a rant ..
Lol I have been dealing with the shake for a while. And when I changed my brake pads I figured well I was under there id start moving things around. So when I went a little
Further and took things apart I found out the ball joint in the bottom and the and top control arm were gone on both side's. Also the bushings on the right side were also gone. That's when I found out my discs were shot.

Last edited by Greatrack2012; 09-14-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 12:30 AM
Greatrack2012
Professional

I figured out the grinding today well I was getting down to get under the truck I saw that tire was rubbing against this . The painted part ( dont know what its callee )

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1c5707f9.jpg

http://i1302.photobucket.com/albums/...ps09e760aa.jpg

Old 09-16-2013, 10:07 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is your mud flap/molding piece.

Old 09-16-2013, 01:22 PM
Greatrack2012
Professional

Thought so just didn't know what to call it. Well the tire is rubbing when I turn right for some reason. The tires are 265/70/17. They are supposed to be 265/65/17 but the tire shop said they would clear and I wouldn't have a problem. But I've been having a rubbing problem on the other side for a while but i got it to stop. I have never had this issue on the right side. Any ideas why I would be having an issue now?

Old 09-17-2013, 07:45 AM
raymondmc822
Default My 96 Dodge RAM 1500 5.9L Bad Vibration at 50 MPH

I have 96 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 5.9 L and I get a strong shaking and vibrations at about 50 MPH. If I speed up a little bit it will stop if I slow down a little bit it will stop if I put the transmission in Neutral while driving and shaking the shaking stops. I am at complete loss as to what is causing the Very rough shaking. I have taken the truck to several mechanics and they have put it up on the lift and inpected it throughly. As a result of their advice I have done the following to try and fix the problem:

1. Changed out tires and ballanced

2. had new universal Joints Installed on drive shaft at reputable Off Road Shop

3. replaced track bar with a new one/

4. replaced Steering Damper Shock absorber

The above changes did not fix the problem I still have the same shaking at about 50 to 55 MPH. I wonder if anyone else has had a similar problem and what they did to fix it. I really can't drive the truck with this problem It is that bad. I really need to get it fixed so I can use this vehicle. Oh let me mention the vehicle has been sitting and not been driven in 2 and 1/2 years. It had a fuel pump probem and would not start I fixed that along with other things and had hoped to be driving the truck by now but cannot comfortably do that with this vibration and shaking problem.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:37 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 340 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by raymondmc822
I have 96 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 5.9 L and I get a strong shaking and vibrations at about 50 MPH. If I speed up a little bit it will stop if I slow down a little bit it will stop if I put the transmission in Neutral while driving and shaking the shaking stops. I am at complete loss as to what is causing the Very rough shaking. I have taken the truck to several mechanics and they have put it up on the lift and inpected it throughly. As a result of their advice I have done the following to try and fix the problem:

1. Changed out tires and ballanced

2. had new universal Joints Installed on drive shaft at reputable Off Road Shop

3. replaced track bar with a new one/

4. replaced Steering Damper Shock absorber

The above changes did not fix the problem I still have the same shaking at about 50 to 55 MPH. I wonder if anyone else has had a similar problem and what they did to fix it. I really can't drive the truck with this problem It is that bad. I really need to get it fixed so I can use this vehicle. Oh let me mention the vehicle has been sitting and not been driven in 2 and 1/2 years. It had a fuel pump probem and would not start I fixed that along with other things and had hoped to be driving the truck by now but cannot comfortably do that with this vibration and shaking problem.
Welcome to DF. You posted in the wrong section. This is the 3rd gen Dakota section, you need to post this in the 2nd gen Ram section. I will see if I can get this moved for you.

Quick Reply: front end still shaking