3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Replaced my spintech with a borla.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 09:23 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Replaced my spintech with a borla.

So I absolutely loved the spintech muffler on the 4.7. It was beastly. But on the hemi, it sounded so different that I didn't really like it. Due to a number of things, my hemi sounds much different in general. Probable causes are the cam profile, the headers, the 84mm throttle body, the highflow cats, the 2.5" off the headers, and the size/placement of the exhaust valves. Anyways, all that added together made it sound so so with the spintech muffler.

So I got a 15" borla sportsman muffler, round case and put it directly in place of the other one, with a small extension because the spintech was 22"

Well, it was sooooo loud, and there was so much drone that I just about had a fit. I tried to get a video clip of it, but the drone resonated about 30 feet from the truck and totally maxed out the microphone. Here is that video, it was monsterous.

So, I tested some things.. the gibson tip I have is just a 16" 3.5" pipe with flames on it, I removed it, and tried a resonated muffler tip, didn't change it much. Then I actually took the spintech and stuffed it under there, it was funny looking but silenced it down quite a bit. Still didn't sound good though.

I was just about to buy a race bullet or cherry bomb to put before the borla to see if that would do anything, but I decided to sleep on it.

Went to bed, woke up and didn't worry about putting the gibson tip back on. drove off and it was perfect, ALL the drone was completely gone, and the revs sound great! very throaty and tough with no annoying resonance.

I will get a video of it soon, but it just seems so weird that an extra 16" of slightly larger tubing could have such an affect on how the exhaust sounded.

Last edited by FrenicX; 09-27-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:49 PM
italiandominator
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't wait to hear it...I have no idea how I didn't notice you mentioning it before, but you got a HEMI in your baby? I'd love to see some picks under your hood, or if you have a bunch from your install. I can only imagine that you posted the install up here on the forum somewhere.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:15 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds good..we need the updated video though! don't you dare put that spintech back on (;

Old 09-28-2013, 06:32 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

I will get that video tonight. I just finished a Mopar get-together with the Mopars of Utah association. Got tons of good pics. Most of the classics just went to the initial meet, but there were a ton of modern mopars there.

No one asked about my truck though lol, I really wanted to pop my hood and be like hey its got a hemi! But I digress.

Tomorrow is dyno day, going to see what kinda numbers she makes now. Crossing my fingers.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:16 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by italiandominator
Can't wait to hear it...I have no idea how I didn't notice you mentioning it before, but you got a HEMI in your baby? I'd love to see some picks under your hood, or if you have a bunch from your install. I can only imagine that you posted the install up here on the forum somewhere.
It's all in here man. I will get some better pics of the engine bay when I make my heat shield for the intake.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-1yr-plan.html

Old 10-01-2013, 01:22 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

Here's the refined video.

Keep in mind, the difference between this exhaust and the one in the video above is only the 16" gibson muffler tip, which I removed for this video. It's a simple 3.5" stainless tip with nothing inside, no wadding or resonator grate, just a smooth wall pipe.

Old 10-06-2013, 02:31 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

I think I like this muffler a lot now, after removing that gibson tip. Sounds very throaty on the hemi, and I got some of that cackle back that I was missing with the spintech and 4.7

Quick Reply: Replaced my spintech with a borla.