3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Lower radiator support tie bar replacement??

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 10:13 AM
CJK44t
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower radiator support tie bar replacement??

I was poking around my '05 and noticed the lower radiator support was pretty much completely rotted away. The radiator is just secured by the upper now.

The part isn't too expensive but I don't know how the heck to change it. There are two "body support rails" that come from the inner fender well and enter into each side which prevents me from just unbolting the old one and putting the new one on (at least not without cutting which I am considering). In order to remove one of the body support rails, it looks like a ton of parts have to come off including body to frame mount bolts.

Anybody do this?

Old 10-17-2013, 10:18 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Yep, common problem. A few have changed them out. I'm sure they will chime in. Here's a good thread with pics.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...ff-so-umm.html

Search function is a wonderful thing.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:32 AM
CJK44t
Amateur

I wouldn't say wonderful, since it didn't find anything for me but you knew what you were looking for. Thanks.

It looks like a stupid design and I will have to break out the Lincoln Mig and figure something out. No biggie, this will be the second time I used the Mig to repair rot on this truck in the last month.....

Old 10-17-2013, 11:19 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Radiator support. Bam.

Old 10-17-2013, 11:49 AM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Weld in a dimple died support plate. ****!

Old 10-17-2013, 05:16 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldnt get the OEM one to fit back in (Cut the old out with a grinder) I had to go have a Custom one made up. The Factory one is a Box That the Support Rails slide into. I have a C one made with thinker metal and no area for water to sit in it.
I have a brand new OEM one here, Painted in truck bed liner.
When I had everything apart I put on a nice think coat of Under coat on the Supports, Inside of the fenders, and Firewall

Old

Last edited by Reject; 10-17-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:10 AM
CJK44t
Amateur

Nice work.

I think I am going to pickup a stock replacement and either cut the old tie bar out and modify the new to be installed without removing the side rails or I will just cut off the lower radiator support piece and graft the new steel in.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:21 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by CJK44t
Nice work.

I think I am going to pickup a stock replacement and either cut the old tie bar out and modify the new to be installed without removing the side rails or I will just cut off the lower radiator support piece and graft the new steel in.
The upper box part was fine, but my Lower bars were rotten at the bottom aswell. So you could just cut them off, and weld new ones to the box at the top.

I found my new one VERY flimsy, hence why I didnt modify it.

Old 10-19-2013, 12:55 AM
italiandominator
All Star

If you do get the replacement, after talking with my guy at the dealership, he said the easiest thing to do would be to cut the weld on the new one, bend out the ears to get it over the ends of the existing frame on the vehicle, pound them back into place, and either re-weld them back together, or get a reinforcing plate behind it, drill some holes and pretty much bolt it in place.

I like the work you did up there Reject, I need to redo mine, since my redneck hack job last spring. still holding strong, but looks like crap lol.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:10 PM
graythang
Record Breaker
Default Lower Radiator support custom

So if you don't mind me asking how much was the custom C beam support cost. Can I have your guy make one for my truck and can I do a prepay and ship thing with his shop.

Quick Reply: Lower radiator support tie bar replacement??