3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

one of my fog lights are out!!!! again ; (

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 10:11 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by pierrejoly
i need to fix the snowblower for the foot or so they are calling for on Saturday, so i need the space in the garage. i burned the Auger belt with the wet heavy snow that i cleared today. The drive belt is in rough shape also.

This is all that is left of a brand new belt i installed yesterday. Even though the part number matched the old belt, it seemed longer then the one one was. I tried adjusting it but i guess it was still a little loose and burned the belt up with the wet snow I was trying to move.

Now i have no reason not to do the drive belt at the same time. Argh...
When I started chewing through belts after going years without changing them, I started to look for a reason. Turned out the auger body was cracked where it attaches to the drive frame and it would twist whenever I got into heavy snow, throwing the belts out of alignment. I was going to get the frame welded but waited too long and it all broke apart. I found a used frame to bolt on and haven't had trouble since. Check for cracks around the bolt holes.

The fun we have!

Old 12-06-2013, 05:16 PM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

found that the bearing behind the auger pulley is bad, making that pulley move around which is making it hard to keep the tension correct. when i was trying to move the heavy wet snow, it made the belt loosen up causing it to slip which made me burn it up.

To add to my frustration these past few days, the pulley will not come off the shaft. I'm having to find my torch later and try heating it up to remove it. Hopefully i can find a bearing tomorrow when i get a chance to look for my torch and get the pulley off.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Greatrack2012
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tough brak. Hope you get it fixed before next snow fall.

Old 12-07-2013, 11:09 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by pierrejoly
there was less of it today when it was raining, now it's snowing again. Truck didn't move today. but i need to fix the snowblower for the foot or so they are calling for on Saturday, so i need the space in the garage. i burned the Auger belt with the wet heavy snow that i cleared today. The drive belt is in rough shape also.

This is all that is left of a brand new belt i installed yesterday. Even though the part number matched the old belt, it seemed longer then the one one was. I tried adjusting it but i guess it was still a little loose and burned the belt up with the wet snow I was trying to move.

Now i have no reason not to do the drive belt at the same time. Argh...

Before anyone says anything. When this blower was new it was a 13 HP 33" wide monster of a snowblower. I "helped" it out with the intake and exhaust so it does more power. I have a long driveway that widens at the front, i can fit about 8 cars in the main section alone, so any help i can do to clear it the better. On average, i get about 120 inches of snow each winter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timmins#Climate). I figure it does about 15 to 16 HP, so it chews through belts about once every 2 years through normal wear. Every other belt i've done required little to no adjustments on this beast, except for the one i did yesterday. I bolted it back together anyways as i needed the space to park the truck due to the snow, freezing rain, rain then back to freezing rain and snow that i was expecting for the past 24 hours. It's now snowing with lots of wind, so i'm not too worried, but the foot i should get on Saturday means i need to get the snowblower back up and running. i don't want to do it all by hand. bad enough i had to move wet snow/slush today after i nearly burned through the new belt
Try to stay on topic please.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
2013-12-05%2013.17.20.jpg (79.0 KB, 16 views)

Quick Reply: one of my fog lights are out!!!! again ; (