3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

05 dodge dakota clicking noise while accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 03:11 PM
Jeremysp1993
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by erau
When the truck accelerates or decelerates, the rear suspension compresses or expands due to the truck body lurching backward (under acceleration) or forward (under deceleration). Since the driveshaft is connected to the rear axle, it must be allowed to pivot up or down with the compression or expansion of the rear suspension. However, since the rear differential can only move straight up or down, and does not "follow" the semi-circular path around the driveshaft when it pivots, the driveshaft must also be allowed to lengthen or contract to account for this changing of radius created as the differential rises or falls.

So how is this accomplished? Through the use of a slip joint in the driveshaft: As the rear suspension compresses/expands, the two pieces of driveshaft slide in/out of each other. Is this unique to Dakotas? Definitely not.
I understand fully what you mean, but I was talking about the front shaft, not the rear. The front diff is bolted to the frame and only the cv shafts in the front move around. YOu must've thought I was talking about the rear..

Old 12-31-2013, 05:56 PM
damyankee84
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mlarson29
it happens after off and on but usually every ride from between 15-25km/h . i have checked the u joints they have no play and look good. the front cv joints are fine i see no leaks or rips in the boot. it sounds like it would be right at the front u joint. i dont have any idea what it could be. i bought the truck off of a guy who replaced inner and outer ties rods both sides and replace both control arms. im not to sure what this noise is as it doesn't always happen. both diffs have brand new amsoil in them about 4000km ago. it just started happening when the temp came down to about -20C.

also its got 164000 km on the odometer and it has original u joints.
You say its happening only during a certain speed, are you sure its coming from suspension or joints? Could it be coming from the engine? I have noticed that sometimes when I am going under 25 it seems to upshift to soon and the engine "boggs" a little causing the vavles to rattle. Step on the gas and it downshifts and problem is solved.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:58 PM
mlarson29
Rookie

well you were right i took it to my dads friend it took him two seconds felt around the cv got his fingers in it and there was zero grease. hes putting in a new shaft instead of replacing it as the auto wrecker has a 20000 km 2 year warranty and the shaft is only 90$.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:24 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by mlarson29
well you were right i took it to my dads friend it took him two seconds felt around the cv got his fingers in it and there was zero grease. hes putting in a new shaft instead of replacing it as the auto wrecker has a 20000 km 2 year warranty and the shaft is only 90$.
Man you can get a re-manufactured one with a lifetime warranty for $65 at O'reilly's. Thats where I got mine from.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:13 PM
Jeremysp1993
Veteran

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Man you can get a re-manufactured one with a lifetime warranty for $65 at O'reilly's. Thats where I got mine from.
What cv is he talking about? I was talking about the one that is mounted on the driveline at the transfer case side, not the cv shafts in the front. I think we are all getting messed up. For 90$, I believe he is talking about the one from transfer case to the diff. That's is the one that made a continuous clicking noise wiTh me.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:28 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremysp1993
What cv is he talking about? I was talking about the one that is mounted on the driveline at the transfer case side, not the cv shafts in the front. I think we are all getting messed up. For 90$, I believe he is talking about the one from transfer case to the diff. That's is the one that made a continuous clicking noise wiTh me.
Oh, my bad. I thought it was one of the half shafts.

Quick Reply: 05 dodge dakota clicking noise while accelerating