3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

P0513 Incorrect Immobilizer Key

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 12:40 PM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default P0513 Incorrect Immobilizer Key

So, this morning my truck decides to throw a check engine light again, but i wasn't driving it and when my mother dropped it off (her car wouldn't start in the -32 C weather this morning) she asked if the CEL was normal.

no CEL is normal, WTF????

So i hop into my truck and go for a quick drive. everything seems to drive correctly, nothing strange.

So i do the key trick and it's about the immobilizer key. Big whoop. But why did it pop up now. A few months ago when I had plug and coil issues, the tech mentioned that the code was there, but the CEL was from the misfire, not the immobilizer key.

Is there something that i should check in my remote start to stop this from happening? Is there any way to clear it other then disconnecting the battery for a while? I don't have a programmer and I'm not going to pay just to have it cleared. Should i put my spare key in the glove box or something like that so it thinks the immobilizer key is there?

Old 01-02-2014, 06:18 PM
pierrejoly
Veteran

over 100 views and nobody has any ideas as to what i can do to stop this code? really? I know I've had a few strange questions recently, but I really love my truck and I want to keep it in as good shape as I can keep it.

Or is it that since I have an aftermarket remote start that there's nothing I can do and nobody wants to say it?

Old 01-02-2014, 07:36 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Did your mom have another chipped key, (like her car key), on her when the CEL came up?

If so, that could have caused the code to appear.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:31 PM
pierrejoly
Veteran

She left her keys with me so i can take a look at her journey, so that's not it. I've been in her journey with my keys and she in my truck with her keys before and haven't had the CEL come on for it before. Like i said, the code was stored when i had my misfires a few months back, but the tech cleared it back then.

It's starting to be a PITA to see the CEL every time i get in the truck, i guess i'll have to pull the battery to clear the code and hope the CEL doesn't come back on. I'll have to see if there is an update to my remote start, i don't even know what is installed in my truck, i guess i'll have to dig under the dash to find it. Hopefully that's what it is. I should have a time to go clear the code tomorrow morning by disconnecting my battery for a bit. I guess unemployment has it's plus side, more time available to look at stuff in my truck and catching up on TV. Hopefully my interview on Tuesday goes good, so i'll have money again to put towards parts for my truck.

Quick Reply: P0513 Incorrect Immobilizer Key